Movie “Five Nights At Freddy’s” reanimates the franchise

The+souls+of+five+homicidal+children+haunt+Mike+%28Josh+Hutcherson%29+during+his+time+as+a+security+guard+at+Freddy+Fazbears+Pizzeria.+
GRAPHIC BY MARCUS PENG
The souls of five homicidal children haunt Mike (Josh Hutcherson) during his time as a security guard at Freddy Fazbear’s Pizzeria.

Pushing hard on a door that won’t open, a security guard scrambles to escape as the shadow of a fox slowly creeps over him. Animatronics, gruesome violence and heart are all things you should expect from the new “Five Nights at Freddy’s” movie.

Based on the 2014 game of the same name, “Five Nights at Freddy’s,” directed by Emma Tammi, was released on Oct. 27, 2023. The film combines the old stories and characters of the game together for the silver screen. Overall, though the movie itself is a trainwreck with no consistent tone, it’s still enjoyable and has great moments, as it reshuffles the plot of the original game to a more understandable format.

The story follows Mike (Josh Hutcherson), a former mall security guard and the guardian of his little sister, Abby (Piper Rubio). One day, Mike is given an opportunity to work as the night guard at an abandoned pizzeria called Freddy Fazbear’s Pizza, which is inhabited by four animatronics who are possessed by the spirits of five children who went missing: the titular bear Freddy Fazbear, the blue bunny Bonny, the chicken Chica and the aptly named fox, Foxy. During his time as security guard, Mike meets Vanessa (Elizabeth Lail), a local cop. Together they quest to resolve the mysteries of the pizzaria.

Hutcherson’s performance as Mike is a bright spot in the film. While Mike is a bland, uninteresting character, he is quite relatable, despite not being the source of tension or interest in the movie. Hutcherson’s performance lends real personality and charm to very dry lines, doing well with what the script gave him.

Vanessa, on the other hand, is an inconsistent mess. Sometimes she is the voice of reason, telling Abby not to go near the animatronics, but other times she encourages the little girl to approach them. In a few of her scenes, I didn’t know whether to laugh or stress about what would come next. Her arc is unclear and her allegiances are always questioned, but not in a positive way.

During the horror sections it feels very scary, at times having me at the edge of my seat, but when it is not, it feels rather pedestrian. Foxy is easily the one to take most seriously, being the most active and violent of the animatronics, and Chica’s cupcake is also scarier than the rest, with tense scenes where it defies the laws of physics during attacks. However, while in the first scene we get a sense that the animatronics are real murder machines, they are not always treated as dangerous pieces of ghostly metal. In one scene, after the animatronics kill an important character, Mike allows Abby to go play with them.

Although the tone of the film missed the mark on the horror aspect, it was amazing at representing an almost-decade-old franchise. Fans of the series will be absolutely enthralled with finding little references and easter eggs hidden in the sets, which are amazingly crafted. The game’s classic pizzeria, clearly inspired by the Chuck E. Cheese franchise, was fully realized in the film. It felt like a real horror attraction and someplace you could touch, and the animatronics display the style and charm of a late 80’s animatronic, with janky movement, off putting design and a time worn exterior.

While it may not be the best horror film of the year, it was definitely one of the more fun experiences I have had watching a movie recently. If you look past the writing and tone issues, “Five Nights at Freddy’s” tells a beautiful story about an unconventional family. Getting to reconnect with a franchise I already knew allowed me to let my guard down and enjoy myself. I recommend sitting down with a friend and watching the film in its entirety; it runs for almost two hours and is a great undemanding horror movie for a Saturday night.