Aidan’s festive guide to holiday favorites

GRAPHIC BY AIDAN WOELFEL
Whether they’re timeless Christmas classics or modern holiday comedies, countless movies guarantee to boost the season’s festivity.

Get ready to snuggle up under a cozy blanket with a warm glass of hot chocolate to enjoy some of the best classics the holiday season has to offer. Welcome to my guide to Christmas movies.

Animation:

While I won’t go too much into it as I reviewed it last year, I would argue that no holiday movie guide can ever be complete without at least mentioning 1964’s “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.” It is simply heartwarming holiday cheer, filled to the brim with beloved characters, an adorable story and delightful songs. I truly cannot imagine the festive season without Rudolph and his gang of misfits.

Indeed, when it comes to animated holiday films, there is no shortage of fantastic choices; “A Charlie Brown Christmas,” which was released in 1965, is another one of these. It is undeniably a staple of the holiday season. Charlie Brown brings the heart as he chooses a real Christmas tree over fake ones for the school play, but Lucy provides the laughs. Her obsession with money, absurd “therapy” session with Charlie Brown and when she reveals that what she really wants for Christmas is “real estate” are just a few of the hilarious moments which help to make “A Charlie Brown Christmas” a classic.

Next up is the tale of the Grinch and his hatred towards the Christmas-loving Whos in the 1966 classic “How the Grinch Stole Christmas!” Legendary actor Boris Karloff narrates wonderfully, his voice perfectly conveying the emotions throughout and bringing the wretched personality of the Grinch to life. However, it is the exquisite visuals, which feature bright and vibrant colors, and the Grinch’s comically creative ways of stealing the Whos’ Christmas presents that shine brightest. Add in Thurl Ravenscroft’s iconic tune “You’re A Mean One, Mr. Grinch” scattered throughout and “How the Grinch Stole Christmas!” makes for a perfect holiday watch.

Finally, traveling forward a few decades, we have “Olaf’s Frozen Adventure,” which was released in 2017. Following the “Frozen” gang as they celebrate the holidays, it focuses on Olaf (Josh Gad) as he travels through Arendelle to find holiday traditions for Anna (Kristen Bell) and Elsa (Idina Menzel). The songs are magnificent, the highlight of which is a beautiful duet between Anna and Elsa entitled “When We’re Together.” Overall, with breathtaking animation, an absolutely hilarious Olaf and exquisite landscapes, this short is a wintery and festive delight.

Live Action:

For those who would prefer some live action holiday cheer, I first recommend the 1990 holiday-comedy “Home Alone.” The young Kevin McCallister’s (Macaulay Culkin) clever defenses against Harry (Joe Pesci) and Marv’s (Daniel Stern) attempts to rob his house along with the robbers’ bickering and McCalister’s antics are endlessly entertaining. Plus, John Candy is unforgettable in his short time on screen as the jolly and hilarious Gus Polinski.

Nevertheless, I would say that the greatest film for festive hilarity has to be 2003’s “Elf.” Will Ferrell delivers an absolute masterpiece of comedy as Buddy the Elf, lighting up the screen in every scene as he portrays Buddy’s warm, sweet and childish personality. The movie keeps me laughing almost constantly, but the film and Ferrell himself are able to seamlessly transition into more emotional and sentimental moments as well. There are more memorable scenes and quotable lines in this movie than I can count. For me, it is undoubtedly a quintessential watch during the holiday season.

Conclusion:

Whether you celebrate Christmas or not, there is most certainly something for everyone in these lighthearted, funny and warm films. I hope that you are able to watch at least one of these
before the holiday season is over.

The holiday season has finally arrived, bringing along with it wonderful festive films, and this is a small selection of some of my own personal favorites. (GRAPHIC BY AIDAN WOELFEL)