Girls varsity basketball loses to Bishop Fenwick Crusaders

EVA BERKSON/CYPRESS STAFF
The girls varsity basketball team lost 60-27 against the Bishop Fenwick Crusaders in the Schluntz Gymnasium on Wednesday, Feb. 7.

The Warriors lost the tip-off, but the Crusaders did not score off their first possession. After a few missed shots from both teams, the Crusaders were awarded two free throws but only made one, scoring the game’s first point. The Warriors had difficulty scoring in the first quarter, with many attempted shots but few points. However, junior and point guard Kyrieh Simmons scored a 3-point buzzer-beater to bring the Warriors to five points. Despite that, the first quarter ended at 15-5 in favor of the Crusaders.

The Crusaders were awarded four free throw attempts in the second quarter, angering fans who shouted that the referee wasn’t calling it both ways. Sophomore and point guard Nefeli Aga-Kitch made two 3-pointers; however, the Crusaders ended the half leading by 22 with a score of 33-11.

The Warriors struggled with the Crusaders’ full-court press defense throughout the game. In the third quarter, the Warriors scored eight points with a 3-pointer from Simmons, a layup from sophomore and point guard Sylvie Kostant-Greeley and a 3-pointer from sophomore and point guard Jada Kimbro. Despite the Warriors’ defensive effort, the Crusaders were able to widen the lead to 35 points and bring the score to 54-19 to end the third quarter.

With four minutes left in the game, the score stood at 56-23. Although the Crusaders held a commanding lead, the Warriors did not back down, with junior, captain and forward Olivia Mataraza scoring several points.

The Warriors maintained a strong defense throughout the fourth quarter, holding the Crusaders to six points. Despite their valiant efforts, the Crusaders emerged victorious with a final score of 60-27.

Aga-Kitch, who scored a total of eight points, said she was proud of how the team fought while facing such a difficult opponent.

“We really battled hard, considering this is honestly one of the best teams in the state,” Aga-Kitch said.“I mean, we want to win always, but considering their high level and the fact that we’re such a young team, I think we were able to battle pretty well, despite the score.”

According to Kimbro, the team needs to battle until the final moments of the game.

“What we need to work on is being consistent. We have moments where we’ll play really well and then we’ll just stop and go flat. We have to work on just playing a full, consistent 32 minutes every game,” Kimbro said.

With only a few games left, Aga-Kitch said the team needs to focus to finish the season off right.

“I’m just really proud of my team,” Aga-Kitch said. “I think we just need to lock in for the next couple of games and end off the season on a good note.”