BHS Story Hour amplifies writers’ voices

AMY SUN/CYPRESS STAFF
After a disastrous, heart-breaking start to her freshman year, Tal Berreby’s story hilariously references “High School Musical” as she rekindles an old friendship after the pandemic.

As applause sounds, a student steps onto the stage. She takes a deep breath, adjusts the microphone fixed to the previous performer’s height and, as the applause dwindles, begins to speak.

Each year, students perform their own original stories during the BHS Story Hour. Hosted by the Whipple Writing Fellowship, Story Hour supplies students with an outlet to share their experiences and provides the audience with insight into the writers’ lives. This year’s Story Hour was held on Wednesday, April 12 at 7 p.m. in the 22 Tappan theater. Eight students read personal stories they had been working on for several months.

Social Studies teacher and Whipple Writing Fellowship program leader Jen Martin helped establish Story Hour three years ago. According to Martin, students first apply to speak at the event.

“They do multiple weeks of writing, reading each other’s work and practicing,” Martin said. “Eventually, it leads to Story Hour night when they perform their piece.”

Martin explained the difficulty of choosing which applicants make it into the program. She said the reviewers try to choose a variety of different stories, but at the end of the day, the writer’s visible passion is the most valuable quality.

“The type of kid that we intend to take is somebody who can be self-motivated,” Martin said. “It’s definitely not the kind of program for someone who hates writing. You’ve got to be relatively happy about sitting down to write about yourself.”

English teacher Evan Mousseau took on the role of teacher leader of Story Hour. English teacher Ben Berman, the former teacher leader, took a step back after publishing his book to be with his family. Mousseau said the event is loosely based on the hit radio show, the Moth Radio Hour, but the two differ in some ways.

“In the Moth’s version of things, it’s from memory with no written reference. For the Story Hour, we’re rooted in being a writing program, so we do have a written reference,” Mousseau said.

Freshman Amalya Silbert said the process leading up to the performance, from start to finish, went at an accommodating, slow pace; she had ample time to edit, revise, discuss and practice.

“It required hard work, but it wasn’t stressful,” Silbert said. “We had one-on-one meetings about revisions and they gave me constructive criticism, but from there it was mostly me figuring out how to implement that constructive criticism into my writing.”

After presenting a graduation speech in 8th grade, Silbert was already confident in her public speaking abilities, making Story Hour appeal to her. However, spreading awareness with her story was the main reason she applied.

“My story is one that deals with topics of grief and loss, and I think those issues aren’t really talked about at BHS,” Silbert said. “I wanted to bring awareness to my experience as a young person dealing with some of that and make other students feel as if they’re not alone.”

According to Silbert, Story Hour strengthens the high school’s sense of community and connection. She said the event helps students feel like their stories are appreciated, heard and wanted, and she hopes the stories help listeners with their own challenges.

“If you feel like you have an important story, don’t be afraid to put yourself out there,” Silbert said. “Your story, even though you may think it’s not-so-important, can make a really positive, even life-changing, impact on someone else.”