Altinha Club brings Brazilian soccer culture to the school

ADITYA KAUSHIK/CYPRESS STAFF
Senior Gabriel Aroesty and Cullen Cox started a new club that brings Altinha to the Cypress field.

Members of the Altinha Club move in sync as they pass the ball to one another across Cypress Field, each player working to keep the ball off the ground. The ball falls, and high-fives and smiles go around.

Altinha is a sport from Brazil, a country with a vibrant soccer culture. The main goal is to work together with other people to keep the ball in the air. There are no winners or losers in Altinha. Instead, the game focuses on teamwork. Senior Rafa Mendez said that the club provides a supportive group.

“Nobody blames each other if someone messes up. We say, ‘Okay, we’ll start it again,’” Mendez said.

As players aren’t allowed to use their hands, they have to get creative, using their feet, knees and even their heads.

Altinha Club is a space for people to meet new people and have fun. The club meets on Wednesday after school on Cypress Field. The club was founded by seniors Gabriel Aroesty, Cullen Cox and Ofri Geva.

When Aroesty was in Brazil for his summer vacation, he saw people playing Altinha and was inspired to bring the game to the school.

“I decided to introduce my friend Cullen to the game, and we played a little over the summer. We decided that it would be fun to bring it to the high school, so we started the club a day before the Club Fair,” Aroesty said. “We managed to get a circle going in the quad. There were a lot of people who found the game really fun.”

Mendez said there are some challenges that the players face when trying to play, such as weather and field conditions.

“Sometimes the conditions aren’t with us. It can be too cold or too hot. Attendance thins during the winter, and it’s been hard to see the club get smaller over time because of the cold,” Mendez said.

Despite these challenges, the players still enjoy playing Altinha. Junior Piero Bravo said there was a time when so many people were playing that the ball didn’t touch the ground.

“When the French exchange students came, we had an 11 vs. 11. It was a lot of fun and a big moment for the club,” Bravo said.

According to Bravo, along with the fun and social aspects of Altinha, it can help improve other skills as well.

“Although [Altinha] isn’t exactly soccer, the two are similar. It can definitely help an athlete improve their soccer skills,” Bravo said. “Come after school on Wednesdays to play Altinha with us. It’s meant to be really quick and chill, just a fun way to end your Wednesday.”