SASA initiative shines light on Diwali

RAVIN BHATIA/NEWS EDITOR
Junior Amarjot Ranu applies henna on students’ hands during SASA and APAC’s joint Diwali celebration. SASA has been active in pushing for Diwali to be recognized as a Category II holiday, which would prevent homework from being due or assessments being given then.

Throughout the past year, the South Asian Student Alliance (SASA) has been advocating for Diwali to become a Category II holiday. Under this new distinction, no homework may be due nor assessments be taken until at least the second class meeting following the holiday.

Diwali, whose date varies each year, typically falls in October or November and lasts five or six days. This year, it took place from Nov. 9-14. The holiday is widely celebrated in South Asian countries and across several religions, and it commemorates the victory of light over darkness, or good over evil.

According to junior and SASA co-president Amarjot Ranu, the desire for Diwali to become a Category II holiday has existed for a long time. Ranu said she and other South Asian students were frustrated with the seeming incompatibility of their culture and responsibilities as students.

“We were sick of having to ask for extensions that left us behind on schoolwork and spending the holiday doing work as if the day was some kind of irregularity,” Ranu said. “Students who celebrate Diwali shouldn’t have to choose between their academics and their heritage.”

The Public Schools of Brookline (PSB), according to their mission statement, seeks to “educate and inspire every student to lead a fulfilling life and make positive contributions to our world.” To realize such, it abides by a set of goals; the fifth, titled “Commitment to Equity,” reads, “We are committed to eliminating barriers to educational achievement in our schools.” Junior and SASA co-president Mimi Aspi said it is the duty of the town to reclassify the holiday on the strength of both.

“In Brookline, we seem to pride ourselves on being inclusive and respecting all cultures and backgrounds. Yet, what kind of respect are we seeing, when a holiday so widely celebrated and so meaningful to many at this high school is treated as an afterthought?” Aspi said.

Channeling frustration into action, SASA has partnered with Student Council since October to produce and distribute a video and petition in support of their cause. The video features South Asian students recounting their celebrations of Diwali and features an endorsement of its reclassification as a Category II holiday from Head of School Anthony Meyer. The petition, meanwhile, has received nearly 800 signatures from students and support from 98 percent of teachers who responded.

In mid-January, Ranu and fellow SASA co-presidents and seniors Dhevin Nahata and Saira Chander delivered their proposal in front of the Brookline School Committee (BSC). According to Ranu, about 30 community members endorsed the initiative and shared their experiences during the meeting’s Public Comment portion. SASA received unanimous support from the BSC members, including Chair Steven Ehrenberg, who noted to The Cypress following the presentation that he was quite impressed with the group’s preparedness.

“The fact that [the presenters] went through all the possible stakeholders that would be affected and that they already surveyed them and got their responses, that there was testimony from the Head of School—I just thought that was a perfect presentation,” Ehrenberg said.

It appears that the developments within Brookline are a microcosm of a broader movement for greater recognition of Diwali. Several school districts across Massachusetts, such as Newton South and Shrewsbury, have already designated Diwali a no-homework holiday. Others—including Wellesley, Hopkinton and Acton-Boxborough—have gone a step further, giving students the day off. Nahata commended these strides and expressed his hope for a ripple effect.

“Following the movements in these places is a step in the right direction for Brookline,” Nahata said. “I hope our efforts will empower other groups to fight for the respect they deserve in this community and beyond.”

Aspi said one of the most crucial consequences of recognizing Diwali as a Category II holiday is greater recognition of its significance to South Asian people.

“Diwali is one of the most widely celebrated holidays, not only within the Indian subcontinent but across the world,” Aspi said. “Allowing those who celebrate to be free, at least for the day, from the demands of schoolwork and instead take joy in their heritage and culture, is necessary. It will no doubt help build a stronger culture of respect and unity for all students.”