Lunar New Year photo gallery 2018

With her eye on the prize, sophomore Kaisa Sazama-Framil concentrates intently to land a slippery jelly bean in a paper cup. Students were timed to see who could move the most jelly beans from the glass with chopsticks.

Sidonie Brown, Staff Writer

Happy customer junior Cait Donahue shows off her plate of dumplings, fried rice and lo mein. All of the food was homemade by parents.
With a line stretching all the way around the hallway, students rush to serve Chinese food to everyone. One heaping plate of food cost $5.
Careful not to move the stencil, senior Ethan Brownell writes out the Chinese character for love. Being a hands-on activity, the calligraphy station was one of the most popular tables.
“Who could it be?” the poster reads as sophomore Grace Sokolow tries to figure out which BHS teacher was born in the year of the dog. In exchange for winning a Lunar New Year-related game, students could receive candy at tables all around the MLK room.
Junior Sabrina Zhou lends a helping hand to junior Samantha Yee as she guesses which country matches a flag. While some flags, such as Japan, were easy guesses, others were slightly harder like Iran.
From the Great Wall of China to the Temple of Heaven, this pagoda model is one of the many replicas of Asian landmarks that sat upon the tables. Pagodas have been a traditional part of Asian culture since ancient times.
Scattered with paper and ink, the calligraphy table is messy but full of beautiful words and drawings. Students could use stencils or opt to go freehand to create their work.