Guide to the May 2024 town election

GRAPHIC BY GEO ELASMAR
The May 2024 town election determines who will hold seats in the Select Board, School Committee, Housing Authority and Town Meeting as well as three uncontested positions: the Town Clerk, Library Trustees and Moderator.

This year’s town election will take place on Tuesday, May 7, 2024. Polls will be open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. on election day, but voters can also vote early in person or vote by mail. With dozens of candidates running for office across Brookline, the election will determine who holds seats on the Select Board, the School Committee, the Housing Authority, Town Meeting, the Town Clerk, the Moderator and Library Trustees. As election day approaches, The Cypress has reached out to every candidate running for town-wide office and compiled important information about the election.

Important dates:

– Saturday, April 27, 5 p.m.: Deadline to register to vote in this election. Voters can register to vote at tinyurl.com/BrooklineRegisterToVote.
– Saturday, April 27: First day to vote early in person.
– Tuesday, April 23: Latest date that USPS recommends voters request a mail-in ballot.
– Tuesday, April 30: Last day voters can request a mail-in ballot. To request a mail-in ballot, visit tinyurl.com/BrooklineVoteByMail.
– Friday, May 3, 12:30 p.m.: Deadline for voting early in person. For more information on early voting, visit tinyurl.com/BrooklineEarlyVoting2024.
– Tuesday, May 7, 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.: Election day. Polling places can be found at tinyurl.com/BrooklineVotingInfo.

Town Meeting

Town Meeting serves as the town’s legislative body. With roughly 255 members, each of Brookline’s 17 precincts is represented by 15 Town Meeting Members, in addition to a small number of at-large representatives. They are responsible for approving the Town’s budget and establishing the Town’s laws and regulations, including those about land use and development. Many Town Meeting races come down to a small number of votes. You can find the names of those running for Town Meeting in your precinct on the Town’s website.