COVID-19’s impact on clubs at the high school

Due+to+the+current+COVID-19+pandemic%2C+clubs+have+had+to+adapt+in+order+to+still+meet.+The+Sagamore+has+interviewed+nine+clubs+at+the+high+school+to+see+how+they+are+doing+and+what+impact+the+schools+closure+has+had+on+them.+

GOOD FREE PHOTOS

Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, clubs have had to adapt in order to still meet. The Sagamore has interviewed nine clubs at the high school to see how they are doing and what impact the school’s closure has had on them.

Due to COVID-19 and the school closure, it has become difficult for clubs at the high school to continue their meetings. Here are some ways clubs have adapted to this pandemic while practicing social distancing.

Dreamfar: Since Dreamfar is a running club that trains for the Providence marathon every year, Zoom calls aren’t very useful. Members are encouraged to continue running for fun. According to junior Ronnie England, it has been a challenge for members to start running individually instead of in groups like they are used to. Even though the Providence marathon was canceled due of COVID-19, Dreamfar members are motivated to continue running.

Environmental Action Club (EAC): Although the Environmental Action Club revolves around physically working together and having discussions, some members have been able to work with the Sunrise Movement to network and help with protests and strikes. Senior and co-leader of EAC Yuna Sato hopes that once school reopens they can organize another Day of Sustainability and continue working on environmental issues that they are passionate about.

Students Against Human Trafficking (SAHT): Students Against Human Trafficking has not been able to do much in quarantine as many of the activities they had planned for the rest of the year involved the entire school community. One of the leaders, junior Cecelia Wilson, shared that SAHT had prepared lessons on sex trafficking to share with classrooms, and they had planned on selling ice cream to seniors on their last day. Due to COVID-19, however, they can no longer carry out these plans.

Student Athletes Fighting Racism in Sports (SAFRIS): Adjusting to the school closure has been easier for Student Athletes Fighting Racism in Sports, since it is a discussion-based club. Every Thursday they have been able to use Zoom to communicate with one another. According to the captains, sophomores Jacob Samgula and Jonah Barer, SAFRIS is continuing their work on a petition they began before quarantine and are hopeful to have it online soon. Their goal is to get students, parents and teachers to sign in an effort to remove the Native American logos on the Tappan gym floor and the geofilter on Snapchat.

Popcorn Dance Club: The Popcorn Dance Club, a K-pop dance group, has found it quite difficult to do anything during quarantine. According to their captain, sophomore Emerson Lin, the upcoming performances they had been working on have been put on pause, but members are still encouraged to continue dancing.

Lux Club: Lux Club is a wide-range dance club at the high school. Members have found it challenging to do anything during quarantine since dancing on Zoom is not the same as in a studio. The captains, sophomores Linesy Brookfield and Joy Xiang, expressed their disappointment in Progressions being canceled, but they are also more motivated to start practicing for next year.

Asian Pacific American Club (APAC): The Asian Pacific American Club has been able to adapt by using Zoom and email to communicate with one another during this quarantine. Senior and co-president Evelyn Chen described how activities like the club’s international night potluck and elections for next year’s presidents have all been put on pause. They are hopeful that next year, they can pick up where they left off.

Mock Trial Club: The Mock Trial Club requires face to face discussions, case preparation and a courthouse, so they haven’t been able to do much in quarantine. According to one of the captains, junior Aerin Foley, members of the club have been able to communicate with one another using Zoom and their club group chat. They hope that once school reopens they will be able to get back on track for their tournament next year.

Strategic Games Club: Even though members of the Strategic Games Club can no longer play together in person, they have been able to find a way around that by using an application called “Discord.” One of the co-captains, junior Minjae Ko, said how members are able to play their games online and talk to their friends as they play. Discord has allowed the club to easily communicate with one another and maintain the connections they made earlier this year.