Robotics Club provides students low-stakes environment to explore

The Robotics Club focuses on teaching the basics of coding to new programmers.

Public Domain

Wheels. Engines. Motors. Drive Trains. A robot that can shoot rings. These are some of the things lying in room 105, the meeting space of the robotics club.

The robotics club, created last year, is a place for students to learn how to build and program robots.

Divya Rajaraman, co-leader of the club, said the club serves as a good introduction to coding.

“It mainly gives people a basic understanding of how to use the different parts and how to build a basic set using the pieces that we have so far,” Rajaraman said.

Patrick McGuire, senior and member of the club, said members do not need to be particularly well-versed in math or science, but they need to be interested in learning about building robots.

McGuire said the robotics club can also be a less intense version of the robotics team.

“{The club} is just supposed to be more of a chill place where you can learn about robotics whereas the teams go to competitions,” McGuire said.

Kate Anderson, senior and co-leader of the club, said many who start in the club advance into the team, motivated by the desire to compete.

According to Rajaraman, hopes to advance to the robotics team are often inspired by the annual robotics challenge the club hosts.

However, Anderson said the team takes more skill and understanding of programming.

“{The team} is much harder than the robotics club. It takes a lot of experience, for sure. We also build the robot, we do a lot of prototyping and use trial and error,” Anderson said.

Anderson said she enjoys seeing new students who are interested in robotics and want to learn more.

“I think my favorite thing is seeing all of these people come in and be extremely interested in this,” Anderson said. “I feel like I haven’t seen much robotics in BHS throughout my four years, and now seeing all these like freshmen and sophomores come in and be like, ‘I want to learn.’ It’s really nice to see.”