Lunar New Year Celebration brings important representation

ADDY ANYAOSAH/SAGAMORE STAFF

The celebration of Lunar New Year displayed a variety of student talents and offered interactive cultural learning experiences.

The high school held its first in-person Lunar New Year celebration since its classification as a Category I holiday on Feb. 18th, which included both an assembly and club fair.

The Lunar New Year assembly, which was held during E-Block, showcased different aspects of Asian cultures through student performances.

The performances included three displays of martial arts: Kung Fu by junior Terry Chiou, who also had a yo-yo performance, Karate by Yuki Hoshi, Amalie Andersen, Laura Andersen and Justina Wang and Taekwondo by junior Anna Lin, freshman Vera Lin and senior Azam Johnson.

Popcorn, the high school’s Korean-pop dance group, showcased their dance skills despite technical difficulties with audio.

The assembly had musical performances by senior Jiayi Guo and her father playing the hulusi, Meimei Ni playing the Yang Qin, a piano arrangement by senior William Yoon and singing by freshman Sophia Song.

The school orchestra and Camerata Choir performed traditional folk songs.

The assembly ended with a dragon dance by Terry Choi and Justin Tzeng.

The club fair, which ran from A-Block to D-Block, had different games and activities headed by Asian Pacific American Club and AP Chinese classes.

Sophomore Anya Foley said the Lunar New Year celebration at the high school is a great way for students to diversify their cultural knowledge.

“The event teaches people more about Asian culture and helps them become more aware,” Foley said.

According to junior Tina Cheng, this recognition of the holiday was special for students who celebrate Lunar New Year.

“I think it’s really cool that we have an entire day dedicated to the Lunar New Year,” Cheng said, “As someone who celebrates it, I really appreciate everything we do.”

Junior Krista Lee said the day offered important representation.

“I feel like it gives Asian people, and other people around the world, representation,” Lee said. “I feel like Christmas gets such a big hype around the year, and Lunar New Year is something that happens in smaller communities and it’s exciting to see everyone so engaged in this celebration.”