Russian Club gathers and fundraises to support Ukraine amidst ongoing conflict

NATE PARRY LUFF/SAGAMORE STAFF

Students gathered outside the STEM Wing on Wednesday March 9 to raise money for Ukrainian refugees and protest against Russian actions

The Russian Club organized a gathering on the steps outside the atrium on Mar. 9 at 7:50 a.m. to fundraise for Cash For Refugees, a nonprofit that gives money to refugees when they arrive in a different country. Solidarity and strength radiated from the yellow and blue signs in front of the high school.

The Russo-Ukrainian conflict escalated to an invasion of Ukraine by Russian forces on Feb. 24, spurring a world-wide call to action in support of Ukraine. Ukrainian citizens have been fleeing since the beginning of the invasion and it is predicted that 2 million people have fled Ukraine, according to the National Public Radio (NPR).

The Russian Club set up a table outside of the science wing to sell baked goods while standing with signs and Ukrainian flags. College and guidance counselor and club adviser Lenny Libenzon said club members came up with the idea to fundraise following recent events.

Senior Julius Arolovitch said the fundraiser is meant to support Ukrainian students and provide money for refugees fleeing Ukraine.

“We’re trying to raise money for an organization that is currently on the border [of Ukraine] giving out cash to people who are just coming across,” Arolovitch said.

Despite the club’s focus on celebrating Russian culture, Arlovitch said most members do not support the war.

“In Russia, there’s a clear divide between people who support this and people who don’t and a lot of it is driven by propaganda. But even in our Russian club, there are a lot of people who are ethnically Russian who really care about this conflict and about helping Ukraine, not Russia,” Arolovitch said.

Arolovitch said providing aid to Ukrainians through direct action is most important.

“Awareness is not as needed as resources. Awareness is definitely needed, but it’s so circulated in mainstream news a lot so that’s not sort of our main target. What we really need is to help people there,” Arolovitch said.

Libenzon said the administration has been dealing with a variety of issues over the last month and will hopefully give guidance regarding the Russo-Ukrainian war soon.

“There’s just so many things going on in the school right now. The administration has its priorities, but I think they’ll talk to the [students] too. This is a good first step, which we’ve done as the Russian club,” Libenzon said.

Libenzon said many students at the high school have been affected by the war, especially those who have friends or relatives in Russia and Ukraine.

“We had some students whose parents had to evacuate and come back [to the U.S.]. I know one person who just flew in last night,” Libenzon said. “A lot of people in Russia don’t support this war and a lot of people want to get out.”