National Honors Society makes its return

GRAPHIC BY LIA FOX

National Honors Society is a program that gives recognition to high school students for their excellence, personal character and active role in community service.

According to an estimate by the National Honors Society (NHS), the organization’s chapters are present in all 50 states with over a million students who participate.

In former years, the BHS chapter was advised by English teachers Evan Mousseau and Lindsay Wise. Mousseau and Wise stepped down in January, 2022.

“Ms. Wise and I realized that we were getting involved with other things in the school,” Mousseau said. “I stepped into the role as the teacher leader of the Whipple Writing Fellowship. We realized that we couldn’t be good teachers and good advisers given the number of other things we were going to be involved in this year. We had to step back.”

After months of uncertainty regarding who would become the new advisers, guidance counselor Clifton Jones and Spanish teacher Kevin Whitehead officially stepped in early October.

Mousseau said he wished that the transition happened sooner but nevertheless looks forward to how the program will run this year.

“We all still work in the same school, and we all care about this program. Part of what Ms. Wise and I were hoping, when we shared in January that we wouldn’t be continuing the role, was that the hand-off would go a little bit more smoothly timing-wise,” Mousseau said. “But now that it’s happening, we are relieved and looking forward to seeing what the new team does with the organization we care about.”

One of the new advisers, Whitehead, said there are two important requirements of this year’s program students must comply with.

“Students must conduct 20 additional hours of community service their senior year to complete their acceptance into NHS,” Whitehead said. “There will [also] be a formal ceremony in the auditorium celebrating this year’s NHS class in late winter/early spring.”

Mousseau said that he wishes for this year’s seniors to utilize being a part of NHS for a bigger purpose.

“A part of this is celebrating your strengths and the people you’ve grown into in your senior year, but another part of that is committing to sharing those strengths to your community,” Mousseau said. “I think that as folks are getting ready to apply, [they should] think about using this not just to take something from it on application to colleges but to really reflect on giving something back to the school they’re leaving as well.”

The National Honors Society is now up and running. For further information, you can contact: [email protected].