SEE club works to create the culture they want to see

The+Students+for+Equity+in+Education+club+works+to+implement+changes+in+the+school+curriculum+that+they+want+to+see.+

GRAPHIC BY KRIS SIVAKUMAR

The Students for Equity in Education club works to implement changes in the school curriculum that they want to see.

“We embody the change we want to SEE.” This is the motto of the members in the Students for Equity in Education (SEE) Club.

Ashamed by the culture of hatred they felt had been created, the club formed when emails from the administration about swastikas and racial epithets bombarded students’ inboxes last year. Since the club’s creation last year, seniors Orlee Bracha, Agnes Shales and Jane Robinson have worked tirelessly to create the culture of inclusivity and equity they want to see at the high school.

Bracha said that her disappointment with the curriculum in her history class was part of what inspired her to found the SEE club. She said that she noticed a clear lack of representation in the curriculum.

“I was taking AP US History and seeing all of the walkouts and I was like, ‘somebody’s got to do something about this,’ so I went ahead and collected some friends and founded the club,” Bracha said.

Shales said she joined the SEE club because she wanted to expand the work she was doing in other areas.

“I joined the club because I’m a part of many other organizations in BHS that are working on many similar things,” Shales said.

The club meetings reflect the caring environment they hope to create. They operate with four committees: reproductive equity, climate, education and racial equity.

According to Robinson, while they have “formal” roles with Bracha as the official club president and Robinson the vice president, they don’t strictly adhere to these roles or push them upon their fellow club members.

“It’s really a club where we’re very collaborative and every meeting we have students always saying, ‘Oh, this thing needs to change,'” Robinson said. “It’s really focused on whatever project we want to do to make Brookline High School a better, more equitable place for everyone”.

The SEE club has taken on numerous major projects, from boosting a bill for educator diversity in the Massachusetts House of Representatives to curriculum changes at the high school. They are also trying to create a more equitable reproductive health curriculum for the Public Schools of Brookline (PSB), and have connected with the Asain Pacific American Club (APAC) to brainstorm further projects.

“Our primary goal is to create a more equitable environment in the schools and that comes across in all different kinds of areas,” Robinson said. “We really cover a broad range of things under the word equity.”

According to Robinson, the educator diversity bill, formally called the Educator Diversity Act, advocates for educator diversity and minimizing bias in the classroom and would help get teachers that could be more representative of the student body and training those teachers to be better equipped to create an equitable environment for students of all identities in the classroom.

“I would really love to see teachers being trained more about how to deal with different learning styles and different backgrounds and different identities within the classroom,” Robinson said. “I think when that happens, it won’t immediately put everyone on even ground because systemically that’s just not going to happen, but it does really help the disparities that we see in classrooms.”

Bracha said that being in the SEE club has given her the opportunity to work with students involved with social justice in a more behind the scenes way.

“For me as a white person, I don’t want to be the face of the work for racial justice because it’s not something I face so I would rather people of color get the credit for that work,” Bracha said. “I would love to help behind the scenes and that’s what SEE is for.”

Looking forward, the club members have high hopes for the future. Robinson believes that change is coming, even if it is a long term process. Bracha holds similar sentiments.