Perfect Pitch provides a space for powerful young singers

Members+of+Perfect+Pitch+work+together+to+arrange+songs+and+have+created+a+strong+sense+of+community.++

CONTRIBUTED BY ANDI LOWE

Members of Perfect Pitch work together to arrange songs and have created a strong sense of community.

Who would win in a riff off, The Barden Bellas or the high school’s Perfect Pitch?

Perfect Pitch is a student-run audition-based a cappella group at the high school. The group is a collective of sophomores, juniors and seniors who come together outside of school twice a week to create music, as well as a strong and comforting community.

The group is led by “pitch leaders,” who are in charge of selecting who is in the club and figuring out the logistics of performances, and are usually two seniors and a junior. One of the current pitch leaders, senior Chloe Locke, said that the group tends to switch around voice parts to allow its members to try new things.

“It’s fun because you just get to mix around with the voice part you’re singing and the people that you’re singing with, you’re not always singing with the same three people,” Locke said.

Locke said she believes that the community is the most rewarding part of being in the group.

“It’s a very nice space, especially because it’s across so many grades. I’d say that it’s a really nice way for underclassmen to be able to talk to and get advice from upperclassmen when there’s usually not that much mixing between them,” Locke said.

Most recently, Perfect Pitch performed at Valentunes on Feb. 14 and sang “Since You’ve Been Gone” by Kelly Clarkson, “Undercover Martyn” by the Two Door Cinema Club, “Sweater Weather” by The Neighbourhood and “Upper West Side” by King Princess.

Locke said Perfect Pitch has had a positive impact in her life and has helped her grow as a singer.

“It’s been a very good part of my last three years. It’s just been a very transformative experience, especially in terms of my musicality because I never got to sing with an a cappella group before and I got to sing with pitch,” Locke said.

Sophomore Antonia Duffield said that her favorite part of being in the group is performing with them.

“Getting to make music with my friends and perform with them, it’s so fun,” Duffield said.

Duffield said that the group being so close makes the performances even more enjoyable for her.

“It makes me really happy whenever I get to perform with my friends and sing with them,” Duffield said.

Junior Aviva Sesling said she appreciates the community that the group creates. She said that she loves collaborating to put songs together with the other members.

“It’s an amazing community; we all get along super well and I’d say we are all really comfortable with each other and we help each other grow as singers,” Sesling said.