Charlotte Toole sets example for girls field hockey

BROOKE BOTTIGLIERI/CYPRESS STAFF
With a plan in mind, senior Charlotte Toole skillfully maneuvers around two Weymouth defenders at Weymouth on, October 2.

Forward, sweeper, leader, communicator, role model. Regardless of her role, senior Charlotte Toole is at the heart of the girls varsity field hockey team.

Toole started playing field hockey three years ago, deciding to make the switch from soccer at the beginning of her sophomore year. Toole said trying out for field hockey her sophomore year was somewhat unplanned.

“It was a really last minute decision. I was planning on playing soccer in my sophomore year, but it didn’t work out for me. I had a one day tryout and went to a varsity practice. That was my first time holding a stick or ever playing field hockey,” Toole said.

Just a year after picking up a stick for the first time, Toole stepped into the role of starting sweeper for the varsity team. Girls varsity field hockey coach Emily Hunt said that, despite having less experience than many of her teammates, Toole is a very talented and capable player.

“I have so much confidence in her ability to track the ball,” Hunt said. “She has amazing stops. She does it in such a calm and confident way.”

As sweeper, Toole has a central role on the team, as a leader and a playmaker. According to teammate and senior Ellie Chen, Toole is consistently able to stop the opponent’s attack and distribute the ball to the forwards.

“There’s no panic in her face at all. She just gets her stick down, gets the ball and hits it back up,” Chen said. “She knows how to find the open space for the pass and she’s able to get it there with really good speed and accuracy.”

The team lost many of their starting defenders this fall, which has resulted in a relatively new backline. Despite this loss, Hunt said Toole’s personality has allowed her to become the player that solidifies and strengthens the defensive line of their team.

“She has a very intelligent demeanor that makes her easy to get along with, but it’s also such a tremendous quality on the field, especially on defense,” Hunt said. “When we’re under attack and it’s a stressful situation, she is able to remain calm and steady. It’s such an important presence for us.”

Chen said with her knowledge as a sweeper and her composure on the field, Toole has been able to support and direct players who are less experienced in defensive positions.

“She controls how the defensive players work, making sure people are back if she’s going forward and making sure we recover to the middle,” Chen said. “She’s always giving really good constructive criticism. She’s very kind about it, and she knows the balance between being a good teammate and helping people in the field.”

Hunt said Toole’s leadership and communication skills have allowed her to bridge gaps within the team.

“It’s almost like having another coach. She’s able to communicate with the other defenders who are brand new to the position,” Hunt said. “Charlotte’s ability to bring everyone together to help solidify our defense is awesome.”

Hunt said, as a result of her skillful plays and reliability as a leader, Toole has become a role model for younger players on the team.

“Her teammates have a lot of trust in her. She’s super smart, intelligent and easy to talk to,” Hunt said. “I think all the younger players [and] new players on varsity look up to her.”