Audrey Seeger sets example for girls running

CONTRIBUTED BY JOHN WERNER
Senior Audrey Seeger has been on the girls varsity cross country team and the indoor and outdoor track teams since her freshman year and has been on varsity track since her sophomore year.

With every footstep on the track, senior Audrey Seeger paints a picture of determination and triumph.

Seeger has been on the girls varsity cross country team and the indoor and outdoor track teams since her freshman year and has been on varsity track since her sophomore year.

During the season, Seeger goes to practice Monday through Saturday and often has weekly meets. According to Seeger, running is a big commitment due to the demanding schedule. However, over the years, managing her time has become second nature.

“You go to practice, come home, and then you have to start your work right away so that you can get to bed on time. It’s important to sleep a lot because that helps you recover for the next practice,” Seeger said.

Senior Dasha LeFaivre and Seeger have known each other since their freshman year. LeFaivre said running has brought her and Seeger closer together.

“We connect and work out together. If it weren’t for cross country, I don’t think Audrey and I would have been as close,” LaFaivre said. “Now, I can’t imagine these past four years without her.”

Head coach and social studies teacher Michael DeYoung has been coaching Seeger since she joined the team. DeYoung said Seeger is an extremely hardworking and passionate runner, even throughout her struggle with iron deficiency.

“She’s a coach’s dream. I don’t think she’s ever not at practice, and I never hear her being negative,” DeYoung said. “This year, she had low iron, so she contacted us to figure it out. Though she was getting frustrated because she wasn’t running as fast, she did everything she was supposed to do, and she’s already back killing it on the track.”

According to Seeger, managing both running and academics has made her more confident in her abilities.

“Running helps me persevere and get through hard times,” Seeger said. “Although running is painful, it’s all worth it on the other side, and I think it’s really strengthened my mentality, especially regarding schoolwork.”

DeYoung said there is never a dull moment while coaching Seeger.

“I personally spend a lot of time with all athletes, especially for cross country, DeYoung said. “It’s three seasons, so it’s 10 or 11 months we spend together practicing, and she’s never been anything but just a nice and fun person to be around.”