Volunteers plant a greener future with mini-forest initiative

DAPHNA AMZALLAG/CYPRESS STAFF
Caring hands and green dreams: Over 100 community members came together on Sunday, Sept. 15 to plant Brookline’s first mini-forest, a dense collection of trees and plants at the Brookline Avenue Playground.

While climate change is a widely-recognized issue, many people still find it difficult to translate their awareness into concrete actions. However, on Sunday, Sept. 15, over 100 community members took actionable steps towards change, coming together to plant Brookline’s first mini-forest at the Brookline Avenue Playground.

A mini-forest is a small, dense collection of trees and plants that is usually grown in urban areas. According to Brookline Director of Parks and Open Space Alexandra Vecchio, who led this particular effort, volunteers planted over 500 plants of more than 30 species in only about 2,000 square feet.

“It’s really dense planting of a mix of shrubs and trees, all in sapling form,” Vecchio said. “The idea is that it will grow and emulate what a natural forest would do, but it will grow very quickly.”

Newton Tree Conservancy member Kelly Simpson said she decided to help plant the trees because building mini-forests can be an effective way to combat climate change.

“It’s a forest that uses all native plants, and it’s planted in smaller, more dense, condensed spaces so that the trees can grow faster. You get more oxygen and life out of the plants,” Simpson said.

According to Simpson, the plants are first dipped in an aqueous compost solution called compost tea, then planted in their designated zones, which were dug by other volunteers.

Volunteer Teddy Chan, accompanied by his father Bun Chan, said their role as volunteers is to dig holes for the plants.

“We are digging a deep hole so we have room for the trees and so we can have more shade and oxygen,” Teddy Chan said.

Bun Chan said he doesn’t only see this event as an opportunity to help with climate change; he sees it also as a time to spend time with his community and educate kids.

“It’s a community thing. We enjoy gardening and planting,” Bun Chan said. “It’s important because I want to educate the kids about climate change. We are building this mini-forest, and it’s good for them to learn about it.”

1
View Comments (1)