Michael Lewis

Michael+Lewis
DURU SUNAY/CYPRESS STAFF

Michael Lewis has been working at the high school for six years. Prior to that, he worked at an at-risk youth program in Framingham, Mass. called Brandon Residential. Lewis likes to play video games with his brother and read comics during his free time.

What are your hobbies?

I like comics, video games and I like cooking and eating. I like to read comics because I like the storylines, and I like the fantasy and sci-fi parts about it. I like video games because I work for my brother on a daily basis and I play video games with him so it helps build our bond and our relationship here so we can be more of assistance to the students in this place. My mom taught me how to cook when I was fairly young and I’ve just enjoyed it ever since. I’ve always been a food person.

Do you have anything you want students to know about you?

I want them to know that I’m here as a support system or support person, and I’m not here to get anybody in trouble. I want to help them avoid trouble. If you just need someone to talk to, that you feel will understand you, I’m that person because I’ve also been in positions where I felt powerless and I’ve felt like I didn’t have a voice.

If you were given the opportunity to work at any given job, regardless of pay, where would you like to work?

That’s tough. I’m not just saying this because I work here, but I don’t think I would choose another school; I think I would change positions. I’d want to be a dean so that I can have the ability to reach more of the kids that I’m not able to talk to on a daily basis because I don’t have the free time. I feel like if I had the dean position, it would be easier for me to fill in the cracks for the kids that are slipping through.

If you had the power to change one thing in the world, what would it be?

Making sure that these kids have solid support systems and role models in their lives. A lot of these adults these days care more about their success than they care about their children. The children are the future, so you should want them to accompany you in your success. You have to be that good example to follow and that’s just what I try to do here.