Caitrin Zellers

Caitrin+Zellers
EVA BERKSON/CYPRESS STAFF

Dallas-native Caitrin Zellers teaches social studies and psychology. She attended the University of Alabama for her bachelor’s degree, Boston College for graduate school and has been in New England ever since. She enjoys scary movies and dreams of vacationing in Iceland and Prague.

What do you like to do in your free time?

I like to spend time with my friends, walk my dog, get outside and get some fresh air. I watch a lot of TV and movies. While I’m watching TV, I try to knit or crochet. I’ve also been trying to read a little bit more. I loved to read when I was younger, but I’ve just been busy and haven’t had time to do it as much, so I’m trying to do a little more reading.

What made you want to become a teacher?

I had some really great history teachers when I was in junior high. I think it was my 7th grade history teacher that I really, really loved. I liked the way he told stories, and I liked the way he got us involved.

Why did you want to teach social studies specifically?

I like to help kids realize, ‘Why?’ I like to get them to say, ‘This is where we come from, and this is why things are the way they are right now.’ Then they can make some connections to what they can do in the future to try to help the situation.

What advice would you give to students?

Don’t be like I was when I was your age and shove everything in your backpack. Definitely try to work with your teachers and work with your parents. Try to get some sort of system of organization because it will help you in the long run. It can feel really overwhelming, but that’s what the adults here are for: to support you. So be afraid to ask for help when you need it.

Is there anything about the community at the high school that sticks out to you?

Everyone at BHS has been very welcoming, friendly, open, helpful and thorough. I just feel like the school cares about its students and its teachers, so it’s been a lot easier of a transition than I was expecting.

What kind of music do you like to listen to?

Fleetwood Mac. My folks and I were also just listening to Jimmy Buffett because he just passed away. I like all kinds of stuff. I grew up listening to a lot of older rock and pop with my parents.