Friendsgiving unites different affinity clubs

The+many+different+affinity+clubs+convened+on+Nov.+16+to+celebrate+friendsgiving.+The+celebration+happened+in+and+around+the+MLK+room+and+attendees+snacked+on+different+foods+and+played+assorted+games+such+as+trivia.+
GRAPHIC BY TEDDY BROOKS
The many different affinity clubs convened on Nov. 16 to celebrate friendsgiving. The celebration happened in and around the MLK room and attendees snacked on different foods and played assorted games such as trivia.

Stacks of cookies, pasta and a corn souffle made up some of the many dishes brought to the Friendsgiving Potluck, hosted by the Queer Student Program (QSU), Gender Sexuality Alliance (GSA), Asian Pacific American Club (APAC), Latinx and Allies Club, Black Student Union (BSU), Muslim Student Association and South Asian Student Association (SASA) in the MLK room on Thursday, Nov. 16.

Students lined up outside the MLK room for food and drinks, and while inside, students played trivia.

Latinx and Allies Club member and sophomore Jaslene Lorenzo said she enjoyed the potluck and believed it helped the individual clubs to come together for one activity.

“During X-block, we’re all separated doing our own thing in our [clubs],” Lorenzo said. “Sometimes it can be fun to come together and recognize that we’re all here.”

Physics teacher and GSA adviser Julia Mangan said that the Friendsgiving Potluck has been a tradition led by the GSA for about 12 years, but they recently only began opening it to other clubs. She said Thanksgiving can sometimes be difficult for people, especially if they don’t get along with all of their family members, so more people should have a chance to attend the event.

“It was always just the GSA, but last year, some of our facilitators decided that they wanted to open it up [to other clubs], and we invited APAC,” Mangan said. “The idea was to make it bigger and more fun. I think it’s only getting better the bigger it gets.”

Senior Christa Washburn said the potluck was a good way to meet and interact with other students.

“It’s a great occasion to get together, to eat good food and to talk with friends you might not be able to see during other classes or the rest of the school day,” Washburn said.

Lorenzo said the Friendsgiving Potluck helps unite students under one universally loved activity, no matter their culture or background: eating.

“It’s awesome, and it’s something that everybody can enjoy,” Lorenzo said. “It’s food. Food brings people together.”