Warriors Against Child Crisis Club uses different avenues for success

From+bake+sales+to+Redbubble+the+Warriors+Against+Child+Crisis+Club+%28WACC%29+finds+unique+ways+to+raise+money+for+Boston+Charities.+The+club+most+recently+hosted+a+bake+sale+on+Tuesday%2C+Nov.+28+to+raise+money+for+The+Boston+House.++
MIRTA CERAJ/CYPRESS STAFF
From bake sales to Redbubble the Warriors Against Child Crisis Club (WACC) finds unique ways to raise money for Boston Charities. The club most recently hosted a bake sale on Tuesday, Nov. 28 to raise money for The Boston House.

Gathered outside the STEM Commons behind a table with apple pie, cookies and other treats, the Warriors Against Child Crisis (WACC) club organized a bake sale on Tuesday, Nov. 28 to raise money for The Boston House.

The Boston House is an organization that aims to provide free housing for families with children battling cancer and can’t afford to live near Boston Children’s Hospital (BCH) during treatment.

WACC co-founder and senior Sigal Solomon said she donates to The Boston House because she wants to help families that couldn’t find a place that feels like home.

“Hospitals are expensive. While they give good treatment, hospitals don’t always feel like a home,” Solomon said. “The Boston House does a lot of good work to give children and families a place that feels like home.”

Besides bake sales, WACC raises money to donate to Boston charities by creating art to put on Redbubble, a site for buying custom merch.

Club member and junior El O’Neil said they love WACC’s community but wish their Redbubble was more popular.

“Whenever we get any money from our website or bake sales we always donate that to a charity,” O’Neil said. “Basically every time we meet, we create art and we put that up onto our website, hoping people buy it to help our goal of supporting kids around Boston.”

Club member and senior Sarah Fung said she values how they can fundraise through their art; she likes to spread her artwork while helping children in need.

“I like that we are able to combine things we are passionate about, [like] art, and we can sell that art and share our designs while also helping the community,” Fung said.

Solomon said she also appreciates the opportunity to raise money through many different forms of art, including drawing, digital art, photography and poetry. She founded this club with Ivy Fawcett ‘23, to provide an opportunity for artists to make a positive impact on others.

“We make art or bake, and we donate the money we make to children’s charities,” Solomon said. “It’s nice to have a way for students at the high school to express themselves creatively and to feel like they have made a difference in their community.”