What does it mean to be a working teen?

CONTRIBUTED BY MELANIE HO
Junior Melanie Ho, who works at Japonaise Bakery and Cafe, said her favorite part of working is the sense of community she finds with her coworkers.

The sweet aroma of fresh-baked Japanese pastries fills the room. A scoop of chewy tapioca pearls hits the bottom of a plastic cup. The paper crinkles as gifts are wrapped with festive paper inside of a Paper Source. These moments are nothing new for students with part-time jobs.

Like sports, jobs are a popular extracurricular for students and can be beneficial for many young adults who would like to become accustomed to a working environment and improve their social skills. Part-time work experiences differ across the board, and many students take personal lessons from their experiences with a common theme centered around self-growth, social skills and transition to adult life.

Junior Melanie Ho, who works as a cashier at Japonaise Bakery and Cafe, said her work community has been inviting and kind and that having a part-time job is helpful for gaining experience in the work world, but that this type of job may not suit everyone.

“I’d say it’s helpful to get a job. [But] I know the hustle-bustle: you have to talk to so many people and [not having a moment to catch your breath] is not the best for everyone,” Ho said.

Senior Angela Zhou began working at The Shared Tea, a boba tea store in Brookline Village, last March. Zhou said her job has helped her tune into a more extroverted side of herself.

“I have to talk to strangers to do the job,” Zhou said. “Previously, I was very quiet as a person. Now when my customers come in, I compliment their jewelry or their outfit. I think it’s [helped me] come out of my shell a little bit.”

Ho said she had a similar experience and feels her job has encouraged her to be more outspoken.

“I think a thing I’ve tended to do after work, or since getting this job, is being more outgoing in general. Maybe that was something that was within me all along, and this helped propel that,” Ho said.

Community is a strong aspect of work for many, including Zhou, who said she feels strong bonds with her coworkers and enjoys the relationships she has formed.

“I really like all of my coworkers, and I think we have a pretty good connection. We’ll all gather in the store whenever it’s somebody’s birthday. When it was [my coworker’s] birthday, she brought in a cake and we all came in to wish her a happy birthday,” Zhou said.

Senior Morgan Blais-Ellis has been working at Paper Source in Coolidge Corner since Nov. 10, 2022. Blais-Ellis said that her coworkers have given her insight into the next chapter of her life, regarding college.

“I’ve been able to get advice about my college applications from them, and I’ve seen their experiences. Most of the people I’ve worked with go to Boston University (BU) or other universities in the area, so it’s been nice to talk to them about what BU is like and what other schools are like and get first-hand experience about schools,” Blais-Ellis said.

Blais-Ellis said her most treasured memory was one time when she was practicing tying bows with her coworkers.

“We were so bored that we were just practicing tying bows, which is a very Paper Source thing to do. We do gift-wrapping services, so we practice tying bows. We tied a bow around this stuffed animal. We just gave him a little bow and gave him a name. It was just a very nice time.” Blais-Ellis said.

While individual working experiences vary, Ho said in general, there is lots of positivity and joy to be found.

“Even though there are a lot of things that happen in there [Japonaise Bakery & Cafe] that are both good and bad, I’d say there’s a lot of smiles,” Ho said. “Smiles everywhere. Smiles on the customers’ faces and smiles on workers’ faces.”