Girls varsity basketball wins big against Revere for their first preseason scrimmage

EMILIE FERDINAND/CYPRESS STAFF
Girls varsity basketball beat the Revere Patriots 46-23 in their first preseason scrimmage on Monday, Dec. 4.

The girls varsity basketball team won their first preseason scrimmage 46-23 against the Revere Patriots in the Schluntz Gymnasium on Monday, Dec. 4.

Coming off a 17-5 record in the previous season, there is plenty of excitement regarding the upcoming season for the Warriors.

Junior Kyrieh Simmons scored the game’s first points, sinking a two-point shot. Senior Gigi McMahon and junior Olivia Zanini also played pivotal roles: scoring early on and playing lockdown defense.

The Patriots were able to make a 3-pointer, but the Warriors closed out the first quarter with a score of 12-3.

McMahon continued to generate offense throughout the second quarter, but the Patriots managed to cut down the Warriors’ lead. With only a minute and a half left, the Warriors took their first timeout and scored four more points, ending the half with a 20-12 lead.

The third quarter began with Simmons back on the floor scoring a two-point shot and a 3-pointer. Sophomore Vivianna McDonald drove through the Patriots defense and hit a layup, adding another two points to the Warriors’ lead.

Sophomore Ivy Wheeler made her first varsity appearance about halfway through the third quarter and began making an impact with multiple steals and defensive plays throughout the quarter. Wheeler also scored two back-to-back 3-pointers to end the quarter.

Energy remained high throughout the end of the third quarter, entering the fourth and final quarter with a 36-20 lead for the Warriors.

“There was big support from everyone on the floor [in the third quarter],” McMahon said. “Everyone was supportive and encouraging throughout the entire game.”

The Warriors played out the fourth quarter, scoring 10 more points, ending the game with a final score of 46-23.

Head coach Kendell Jones said that the team handled the ball well in transition, but defense and communication need to improve.

“I think they need to communicate more on the floor and just have fun,” Jones said. “I tell them ‘defense wins games, offense sells tickets.’ If you want to win games, you’ve got to make sure to buy in on the defensive end and have fun doing it.”

After losing so many seniors last season, the Warriors now have a younger team, with many new players.

“It’s a very new team so this was a bit experimental, but I think it is a good start,” McMahon said. “It’s super encouraging to start with a win so I think everyone is excited for the season to begin.”