Unified Basketball beat the Framingham Flyers 59-40

CECILE VAN DE VELDE/CYPRESS STAFF
Unified Basketball beat the Framingham Flyers 59-40 on Oct. 18.

The Unified Basketball team faced off against the Framingham Flyers on Wednesday, Oct. 18. The Warriors beat the Flyers 59-40, marking the team’s second win.

Although the score was tight throughout the game, and the Flyers had a substantial lead throughout the first half, the Warriors pushed through, allowing them to gain almost 20 points on the Flyers.

According to player and junior Gabi Hunter, the team’s energy and the support it receives is much more important than the wins themselves.

“Honestly, I’m not really concerned about the score. A lot of our really strong players aren’t here, but I’m really happy that a huge crowd came because that’s the most important thing to me,” Hunter said.

During halftime, player and freshman Axel Bonnafoux said the atmosphere was uplifting.

“I think scoring the layups, getting cheered on by the crowd, the support and the diversity is exciting. Being able to be part of the team, that’s special,” Bonnafoux said.

For some, Unified Sports have been a lifelong journey, such as Unified Basketball Coach and Excel teacher leader Jocelyn Vendola. Vendola has been volunteering and contributing to Unified Sports since she was in 5th grade and won a bronze medal with her team at the first U.S. National Special Olympics Games.

Vendola said her players have an amazing amount of enthusiasm and excellent sportsmanship.

“If you see them [the team] cheering at the games, they are cheering that much for each other at practice,” Vendola said.

Vendola said she is thankful for the opportunity to continue contributing to the Unified Sports community and understands the value and importance that Unified Sports have.

“Coaching is awesome, and then to coach the first ever Unified Team here at BHS; it’s a part of history. It’s a real honor,” Vendola said.

Despite its recent formation, Unified Basketball is making headway, both in terms of its achievements during the games and the positivity it transfers into the daily lives of the players and coaches.

The bonds and good sportsmanship between the players on Unified Basketball help make the team a safe and comfortable community for players.

“There’s a lot of trust established between us, and a lot of our teammates are in classes together, so they’ve known each other for a while,” Hunter said. I think the vibe is a lot more positive, and there’s very little criticism that happens. Everyone is always very supportive, which is the most important thing to me.”