Girls varsity basketball loses against Lincoln-Sudbury in their second game of the season

ELLIE HONG/CYPRESS STAFF
Girls varsity basketball lost against the Lincoln-Sudbury Regional Warriors 41-24 on Thursday, Dec. 14. With this loss the Warriors record stands at 0-2.

The girls varsity basketball team lost 41-24 against the Lincoln-Sudbury Regional Warriors during their second game of the season in the Schluntz Gymnasium on Thursday, Dec. 14.

The Lincoln-Sudbury Warriors put up the first points with a free throw, which the Warriors responded to with a shot of their own. After this, the Lincoln-Sudbury Warriors pulled ahead with a nine point run, ending the quarter with a 10-6 lead.

The Warriors started the second quarter off strong. Junior, captain and point guard Olivia Zanini scored a 3-pointer, and sophomore and guard Nefeli Aga-Kitch drew two fouls. The two teams continued to trade points throughout the second quarter, with many turnovers. However, the Lincoln-Sudbury Warriors maintained their lead, ending the quarter leading 17-13.

The third quarter was a battle with possession alternating between teams. The Warriors fought hard, with sophomore and point guard Jada Kimbro active on both ends. Kimbro made a crucial 3-pointer and had multiple steals that kept the Warriors in the game, but they still trailed 27-21 at the end of the quarter.

The Warriors struggled to maintain offensive possession throughout the beginning of the fourth quarter. They were able to score once but struggled defensively.

Aga-Kitch said the team started the game well, but had trouble finishing the game.

“We had a lot of improvement since our game on Tuesday. We were communicating more, and overall, we came out with more energy than we did before, which helped us,” Aga-Kitch said. “In the stretch, we didn’t keep it up and that’s something we can fix for our future games.”

Head coach Kendall Jones said he wants to see more of a defensive presence.

“In the future, we have to work on defense in terms of boxing out and working hard. We’re trying to work up to the league tournament,” Jones said.

Aga-Kitch said despite the loss, the team is focused on winning in the future.

“A lot of us are angry. We lost two games in a row and that’s not how we wanted to start our season. We’re going to keep bringing the energy up and hope it pays off in the next game,” Aga-Kitch said.

Jones said he was proud of his team for preserving in the face of difficulty and keeping the game competitive.

“They showed heart tonight, they fought and their resilience was great,” Jones said. “There was a time they were down by a lot and they closed the gap to about four or five points, so I’ll take that as a win.”