Boys varsity wrestling loses home opener to Weymouth

CLEO BLANDING/CYPRESS STAFF
The boys varsity wrestling team lost to the Weymouth Wild Cats 41-34 during their home opener in the Schluntz Gymnasium on Wednesday, Dec. 13.

The boys varsity wrestling team lost their home opener 41-34 to the Weymouth Wild Cats in the Schluntz Gymnasium on Wednesday, Dec. 13.

The matches began well, with both teams scoring points. Sophomore Robbie Richard and junior Julian Ricco both lost their matches, but freshman Liam Christ made up the points. An out-of-bounds call resulted in the reset necessary for Christ to near fall his opponent and bring the score to 12-12.

Matches went back and forth until senior Jack Henry won his match with a score of 12-2. With this win, the Warriors took a four-point lead, bringing the score to 22-18.

Henry said he was satisfied with his match and has ideas for what to improve on as a team.

“The kid I wrestled was pretty good. I had to stay on my toes, but it was an exciting match,” Henry said. “Our conditioning and wrestling in the top position could be better. We did not get a lot of pins.”

The victory was short-lived as the next five matches resulted in only one Warrior victory by senior Jamie Evarts, who won his match 4-1. After hard fought matches by juniors Niall O’Riain, Bruno Vantill and Theo Tsekov, the match ended at 41-34.

Assistant coach Eli Fibell said he was happy with the team’s performance and spirit despite the loss.

“The energy was great. Everyone was cheering on their teammates. A couple of key things didn’t go our way, but we wrestled well,” Fibell said. “We had a lot of great matches.”

Weymouth head coach Danny Murphy said he was proud of how both teams did and hopes to see both teams improve.

“I think we have two good programs. The pacing, energy and attitude were right where they needed to be for both teams,” Murphy said. “A couple of tight matches went our way and that was the difference.”