Girls varsity basketball loses to the Natick Redhawks

DARIA STOYANOVA/CYPRESS STAFF
Junior Olivia Mataraza wins the tipoff to begin the game. The girls varsity basketball team lost 41-31 against the Natick Redhawks in the Schluntz Gymnasium on Friday, Dec. 15. With this loss the Warriors record stands at 0-3.

The girls varsity basketball team lost 41-31 in a hard-fought game against the Natick Redhawks in the Schluntz Gymnasium on Friday, Dec. 15.

The Warriors won the tip off and began the game with possession. Sophomore and point guard Jada Kimbro scored the Warriors’ first points with a jump shot from the paint. Defense was strong by both teams, resulting in many 3-pointer attempts. Despite the offensive effort from the Warriors, the quarter ended with the Redhawks leading 13-5.

In the second quarter, the Warriors managed a slight comeback. Despite a combination of layups and jump shots by junior, captain and forward Olivia Mataraza and senior, captain and forward Gigi McMahon, the Redhawks still led by eight.

Despite the Redhawks calling a timeout, the Warriors remained focused, and junior, captain and point guard Olivia Zanini scored another two points. Sophomore and point guard Nefeli Aga-Kitch was vital in increasing turnovers and possession throughout the quarter. The half ended 17-11 with the Redhawks in the lead.

Kimbro’s offensive impact continued throughout the third quarter, sinking two back-to-back jump shots. The Redhawks fought back, but senior and forward Stephanie Gravely sank a 3-pointer to finish out the quarter before the Redhawks could capitalize. Despite this, the Redhawks extended their lead and ended the quarter 28-18.

Going into the fourth quarter, Mataraza and Zanini scored multiple layups to keep the Warriors in the game. Zanini also scored a 3-pointer, bringing her total points to 11. A series of free throws and layups finished out the game leading the Redhawks to a 41-31 victory.

Head coach Kendell Jones said although the team lost, he is proud of the progress made with rebounding and defensive communication.

“We made some progress, and that’s the goal, to get better and better every game which we accomplished today,” Jones said.

Despite the loss, sophomore and guard Sylvie Kostant-Greeley said tonight’s game was crucial in further bonding the team.

“Despite the loss, this was the game where we started to come together. We learned a lot by playing with each other, especially because this is a new team and we’re all figuring out how we play together,” Kostant-Greeley said.

Jones said once the team begins to connect and play together, there’s no telling what they can do.

“I’m waiting for the time, that one game where everything comes together, and they see that they can compete and they can do it,” Jones said.