Badminton Club helps its players swing big

MAY GARDNER/CYPRESS STAFF
The badminton club meets during X-Block in the Tappan Gymnasium and creates net of support for members.

Laughter fills the Tappan Gymnasium, echoing out into the hall. Sunlight peaks through the ceilings, shining down upon the courts. Backpacks are placed across the wall, making room for students chasing birdies.

The Badminton Club creates an organized space for students to destress and build friendships. The club, run by senior Lucie Root and sophomore Misha Swormik, meets every X-block in the Tappan Gymnasium.

Root has been running the club since her sophomore year. Despite the difficulties of organizing a club throughout the pandemic, Root persisted and created a new club, where participants play round robin with each other.

Sophomore and member Lucas Rawding said the club is a positive environment.

“[Whenever] I join, everybody acts like they are a family. Everyone is friends with each other and the club is filled with nice people,” Rawding said.

According to Root, she has had her own personal adventure with learning to play the game.

“I started playing badminton when I was nine, not at school of course,” Root said. “I started in Newton because they have more programs. [Badminton] is an addictive sport; once you start [playing] you can’t stop.”

Root has learned to help those around her with creative games and positive feedback. She said she has learned a lot from this club the past two years and accomplished a lot with it.

“I really love badminton and I love teaching others and [guiding] them [to] love badminton too,” Root said.

Another member, sophomore Will Hannigan, joined with the encouragement of his already active friends. He has found a lot of positives in attending the club each week and loves spending time with other members.

“I’ve gained a lot of time to hang out with my friends in this club. I connect with them [here],” Hannigan said. “It also gives people something to do during X-block instead of sitting around and doing nothing.”

The physical activity that badminton offers is really beneficial to these members. Rawding said he also releases emotions through exercise.

“Whenever I hit the racket, that’s a lot of those deep emotions I have been hiding inside otherwise. I am able to get it all out that way by playing,” Rawding said.

Rawding said the club is always welcoming new members and the activities provide the perfect opportunity for students to bond in a fun and unwinding way.

“It’s a club full of friendship,” Rawding said. “There’s so many mixed personalities here all sewn together just by playing Badminton.”