“Comrade Sisters: Women of the Black Panther Party” puts a spotlight on female empowerment

On+MLK+day%2C+the+Museum+of+Fine+Arts+had+free+entry+for+all+Massachusetts+residents+to+experience+various+exhibits%2C+including+%E2%80%9CComrade+Sisters%3A+Women+of+the+Black+Panther+Party.%E2%80%9D+
LIA FOX/CYPRESS STAFF
On MLK day, the Museum of Fine Arts had free entry for all Massachusetts residents to experience various exhibits, including “Comrade Sisters: Women of the Black Panther Party.”

Whether smiling vibrantly or vigorously protesting, the rarely-seen faces of women in the Black Panther Party are captured in Stephen Shames’ photographs.

On Jan. 15, the Museum of Fine Arts (MFA) opened its doors to all Massachusetts residents free of charge in honor of Martin Luther King Jr. Day. The MFA held teen talks discussing different works through the lens of King’s legacy, including a collection of photographs by Stephen Shames named “Comrade Sisters: Women of the Black Panther Party.”

The exhibit is a collection of 27 photographs taken by Shames, the official photographer for the Black Panther Party, a revolutionary socialist civil rights organization that believed in armed self-defense against police brutality. Member of the MFA teen’s council Hannah Mu said that this exhibit is meant to highlight the numerous contributions of women to the movement.

“This exhibition specifically is featuring photographs of women in the Black Panther Party, who actually made up two-thirds of the party,” Mu said. “I think in most representations of the [Black Panther Party], it’s male-dominated, so I think with this exhibition it’s highlighting how women were really the backbone of these grassroots, community-based initiatives that the Black Panther Party pushed,”

Museum-goer Clemencia Herrera said that she found the exhibit inspiring and a testament to the mobilization of women in the party.

“It feels very powerful watching, looking at these women being so out in the open about being in a party that was considered terrorists before. They’re very defiant; they are moving the community and protecting the community,” Herrera said.

Many pieces photographed the centers for sickle cell anemia testing provided by the Black Panther Party. Herrera said that it was crucial to showcase how women helped people access testing as it disproportionately affects people of African descent.

“Sickle cell anemia testing was so important when at the time nobody else cared. It is very important to show the power of organizing and making community and moving the community and trying to get change done,” Herrera said.

Many photographs highlight the other community efforts that women in the Black Panther Party took part in, such as registering voters, taking care of elders and providing school nutrition aid. This collection of photographs sparked the interest of many visitors, including museum-goer Renee Hodin.

“I think it’s really telling that the first time we are seeing these photographs that the women of the movement were sort of the unsung heroes,” Hodin said, “They were doing a lot of the hard work, caring for the family members that were part of the Party.”

Mu led a discussion for people to note observations about the pieces and spoke about the vitality of women in the Black Panther Party. In reference to a photo of a woman handing out newspapers, Mu pointed out the artistic choices Shames made in his photography to portray their expressions in a powerful light.

“There’s just something about their gaze, so fierce and so strong that it really speaks to their initiatives,” Mu said.

Hodin described the dichotomy between the portrayal of the movement led by figures like King, and how the Black Panther Party is often not regarded in the same light by the public media.

“I think it tells a story that wasn’t told. I also think that it tells a different story. [The MLK movement] is often seen as non-violent, peaceful and this was not a peaceful movement, this was a radical revolutionary movement. I think it’s great to see the entire spectrum of the Civil Rights Movement,” Hodin said.