Boys varsity swim and dive wins dual meet against Needham Rockets

ROSE MURRAY/CYPRESS STAFF
Boys varsity swim and dive wins home dual meet against the Needham Rockets, 100-83, on Friday, Dec. 12, at the Evelyn Kirrane Aquatics Center and extended their season record to 6-0.

The boys varsity swim and dive team defeated the Needham Rockets 100-83 in a dual meet on Friday, Dec. 12, at the Evelyn Kirrane Aquatics Center. This win continued their undefeated season, extending their record to 6-0.

The Warriors went into the meet knowing that it would be the most challenging of the year. Sophomore Marc Hummel said he was nervous but ready to take on the challenge.

“I thought that no matter what, I [would] give my best for today, knowing it was the biggest dual meet of the year,” Hummel said.

Assistant coach Lea Luniewicz said the Warriors came prepared with a plan to defeat the Rockets.

“We were trying to create depth,” Luniewicz said. “We were trying to get as many swimmers seeded in events where they were going to place in the top three as we could.”

The Warriors had a strong start, with senior Zachary Lee scoring the best overall in diving, beating the previous school record of 298.13. Lee said the competition motivated him to bring his best to the diving board.

“The competition was good so that helped me elevate the level that I was at,” Lee said. “I broke the record for diving today, and that was exciting.”

Aside from diving, the Warriors competed in the 100 freestyle, where sophomore Emil Grinberg placed second, and the 500 freestyle where senior Andy Yoo came in a close second. The Warriors had first place finishers in the 200 medley relay, the 50 freestyle, and the 100 butterfly.

The Warriors continued to dominate toward the end of the meet, taking the top three places in the 100 breaststroke, and winning the 100 backstroke, taking first, second and fourth place.

Luniewicz said a highlight came from Lee’s diving score, and from Yoo’s 400 freestyle relay. Impressive performances in the relay also came from juniors Gabe Segal and Julian Carlson, and from senior Eric Poliansky.

“The 400 freestyle relay [swam by Yoo, Segal, Carlson and Poliansky] won. That’s how we won the meet. It was very close and if we hadn’t won that relay we wouldn’t have won the meet,” Luniewicz said. “Needham has the best diver in the state, but Zach Lee won and set the record for the pool.”

Luniewicz found the team camaraderie and spirit uplifting.

“They all put their hearts out there today, they left it all out on the water. There were so many personal bests that I can’t even mention [it],” Luniewicz said. They are fantastic athletes and fantastic humans. They care for each other in and out of the pool. They are a lot of fun.”

According to Hummel, although this was the hardest meet so far, there are more challenging competitions on the horizon. He is hoping the team will continue their success in crucial meets later in the season.

“This was our biggest competitor, and it was exciting to finally be able to beat them and keep our undefeated record, and hopefully we can carry it over to the Bay State Conference,” Hummel said.