Boys varsity basketball loses home game to Braintree

PAYSON MARSHALL/CYPRESS STAFF
Boys varsity basketball loses home game, 58-44, against Braintree on Friday, Jan. 19, in the Schluntz Gymnasium.

The boys varsity basketball team lost to Braintree High School 58-44 on Friday, Jan. 19, in the Schluntz Gymnasium.

The game started with Braintree winning the tipoff and quickly scoring a layup. Senior and forward Chris Sillice responded with a jumper, scoring the first points for the Warriors.

Consecutive turnovers by the Warriors allowed Braintree to go on a 7-0 run, bringing the score to 11-4. The Warriors committed many defensive fouls and were unable to stop their opponent’s offense. Freshman and guard Caleb Haynes scored four points in the final minutes of the first quarter, helping the Warriors tighten the score to 13-10 to end the quarter.

Junior and forward Andrew Bacon said the team planned to use their size and take advantage of spacing close to the basket.

“Our strategy was to use Alan and Chris down low. We knew that they didn’t have as big of players as us, so at the beginning of the game, that was our game plan,” Bacon said.

The second quarter began with a series of unsuccessful offensive possessions for the Warriors. Braintree followed their good defensive plays by scoring two layups and a 3-pointer, bringing their lead to 20-10.

The momentum quickly shifted as Sillice scored eight consecutive points for the Warriors, igniting the stands and creating an electric atmosphere. However, Braintree kept their lead, knocking down a pair of free throws. Junior and guard Seth Thompson then scored a 3-point shot, followed by a 2-pointer from junior and forward Alan Shi, ending the first half at 27-23 with Braintree in the lead.

The Warriors came out strong in the second half, gaining their first lead of the game at 30-29. Early in the third quarter, Shi made his presence felt on defense with two blocks, further firing up the crowd.

Braintree fought back with a jump shot from the paint. Shi and Thompson kept the scoring going for the Warriors, taking advantage of the team’s passing. However, Braintree closed the third quarter, leading 41-37.

Braintree opened the fourth quarter with a 12-0 run, displaying efficiency in their offensive possessions. Sillice responded with two Eurostep layups, but there was not enough time left for a Warriors comeback. Junior and guard Zach Fung knocked down a 3-pointer in the final possession, ending the game with a 58-44 loss for the Warriors.

According to junior and forward Max Delaney, the team has to work on the defensive end.

“We were supposed to play tough defense. We were supposed to press for most of the game, but most of that didn’t happen,” Delaney said. “We need to do a better job talking on defense, calling out screens and watching backdoors.”

Sillice said although the season has not been ideal, the team hopes to improve in future games.

“The season has been up and down so far,” Sillice said. “Our hope is to turn it around and keep winning.”