Boys varsity basketball beat the Walpole Timberwolves

Junior and forward Alan Shi goes for a jumper. The boys varsity basketball team beat the Walpole Timberwolves 74-48 on Friday, Jan. 26, in the Schluntz Gymnasium.
KERRY FREY/CYPRESS STAFF

The boys varsity basketball team beat the Walpole Timberwolves 74-48 on Friday, Jan. 26, in the Schluntz Gymnasium.

The Timberwolves won the tipoff and gained possession of the ball, immediately scoring two points, closely followed by a 3-pointer. Junior and forward Alan Shi scored the first points for the Warriors with a layup two minutes into the game. Shi then made a free throw, bringing the score to 5-3.

The Warriors had defensive difficulties throughout the quarter and the game. According to Shi, the team is always striving to better their defensive strategy.

“As a defensive unit, we always have to try and improve; we need to be more together. We should be able to rebound better,” Shi said.

Later in the first quarter, the Warriors took the lead with a series of 2-point jumpers, bringing the score to 16-11, with the Warriors leading to end the quarter.

The second quarter began with several defensive fouls by the Warriors, gaining the Timberwolves multiple free throw opportunities. However, the Warriors kept their lead, with many players taking successful shots.

The Timberwolves made two more free throws throughout the next five minutes, but the Warriors maintained a lead of 33-25 by the end of the first half.

The Warriors continued to attack in the second half, with senior and forward Chris Sillice and Shi scoring six points in the first three minutes. Freshman and guard Caleb Haynes then made three 2-point jumpers in a row, bringing the Warrior’s lead to 45-25 at the half.

The Timberwolves began to close the lead by the end of the third quarter; however junior and guard Barry Golden made multiple shots, ending the quarter 55-37, Warriors leading.

Golden said the main goal of the second half was to keep everyone’s spirits up.

“We were doing well in the first half, but I feel like in the second half, we came out. We brought the energy, and we kept trying to achieve our goal,” Golden said.

The Warriors pulled further ahead in the fourth quarter, with junior and guard Seth Thompson, Shi and Sillice keeping the scoring going. The Timberwolves fought hard to close the gap, but there was not enough time to make a comeback, and the game ended with a 74-48 win for the Warriors.

According to Shi, the team had great communication during the game, ultimately leading to their win.

“We just have to go out there and play the game,” Shi said. “Get out of our heads and play some basketball.”