The SHARP Warriors fight for a safe school community

SHARP+Captains+Council+is+a+meeting+between+SHARP+members+and+the+captains+of+each+sports+team.+The+council+meets+every+season+to+discuss+issues+around+sportsmanship%2C+inclusion+and+athletic+culture+at+the+high+school.+
EMILIE FERDINAND/CYPRESS STAFF
SHARP Captain’s Council is a meeting between SHARP members and the captains of each sports team. The council meets every season to discuss issues around sportsmanship, inclusion and athletic culture at the high school.

From leading Day of Change to running Captain’s Council, the Sexual Harassment/Assault Response and Prevention (SHARP) Warriors fight to make a change in the culture of sexual harassment in school.

SHARP’s goal is to eliminate rape culture and establish a secure, supportive environment for survivors of sexual assault and harassment. The club was formed before COVID in 2020 when a group of students reported sexual assault and harassment happening. The group met with faculty and formed the organization. Now, they work on leading events and addressing the needs of the community.

School Within a School (SWS) English teacher Keira Flynn-Carson is one of SHARP’s faculty advisers. She said kids should feel safe at the high school.

“Over the years, so many people have talked about experiences that they did or didn’t report,” Flynn-Carson said. “It seems like it’s such a pervasive problem that needs education and clear routes to support for people who are experiencing it.”

SHARP co-leader and senior Annika Epstein said the group uses their influence to educate students about how to respond to situations of sexual assault or harassment by partnering with different groups.

Epstein said they have collaborated with ‘Off-Brand’ the high school’s student-run feminist magazine as well as Captain’s Council, a meeting between all the captains each season to discuss the sports culture at the high school.

Flynn-Carson said SHARP is working to move beyond the high school and help change the culture at K-8 schools and for parents.

“I think the earlier [students] get some education, the better,” Flynn-Carson said.

Flynn-Carson said her favorite part of SHARP is seeing the students realize they are leaders and can make change on their own.

SHARP member and junior Serina Ohyama said she loves the community aspect of the club.

“I always feel safe and welcome; my thoughts are heard by every member,” Ohyama said. “I always feel safe and able to verbalize things that I normally wouldn’t feel comfortable saying in a mainstream area.”