Larry Jordan builds camaraderie on and off the track

IZZY GARON/CYPRESS STAFF
In addition to teaching, Jordan uses his track and field experience to lead the sprint group on the boys track team.

After only one season as assistant coach of the boys indoor track team, Larry Jordan has already had a lasting effect on his athletes, on and off the track. While Jordan focuses his coaching on the sprinters, he is willing to go the mile for the team.

At 9-years-old, Jordan began running and competing for the Providence Cobras Track Club. He went on to run for Saint Raphael Academy in Pawtucket, Rhode Island, and later for Lincoln University. After returning to coach the runners for Saint Raphael Academy, he spent the next portion of his career coaching at Northwestern High School in Baltimore and Milton High School. Jordan is now a teacher in the ACE program and leads the sprinters for the boys track team.

From Thomas Spann and Kevin Jackson at the Providence Cobras Track Club to Cyrus Jones at Lincoln University, Jordan said the coaches he ran for throughout his career were very influential and inspired him to become a coach.

“I always had really, really good coaches,” Jordan said. “I always felt, having to work with such incredible mentors, that I was going to try to return something.”

Using his former coaches as inspiration, Jordan said he hopes to form a close community among team members by getting to know them and helping them connect.

“I think it’s really important to do a lot of team events, whether it be a car wash or team events that are just centered around bonding,” Jordan said. “I love athletes having team gear and bonding over common things.”

According to boys varsity cross country and track coach Mike Glennon, Jordan’s position as both a teacher and coach is very useful in supporting athletes and expanding the school’s running community.

“Having someone at the school is really important. It’s good that he can check on young people during the day,” Glennon said. “It’s good just to have a presence where they know that there’s a person that’s in the building.”

Although Jordan is new to the team, Glennon said his coaching has already improved the team’s performance and helped build community.

“I think that over the course of the many years that I have done this, we’ve built a program that has had some success year after year,” he said. “This season was a very successful season and certainly him coming onto the staff helped that.”

Glennon said Jordan easily connects with the athletes and adds to the team’s spirit.

“He’s very personable, he has a lot of energy, and all those things are good to add for our staff,” Glennon said. “Seeing his style, and how he does things and how he’s building relationships is just as inspirational to me to keep on trying to do that.”

Senior Andrew Bamberg said the team has grown closer as a result of Jordan’s commitment to making sure every member of the team knows one another.

“I think our team has overall been improving since he’s joined. He made a point that we haven’t always made of making sure you know everyone on the team,” Bamberg said. “You have to know their names.”

In addition to his emphasis on community, Jordan has also developed a balanced coaching style. He is serious when necessary to help the team progress but also friendly so athletes can enjoy their time at practice. He works to build relationships with runners and fellow coaches.

As a sprinter in Jordan’s group, Bamberg said he has formed a close relationship with Jordan and offers sincere support to his athletes.

“It’s a professional relationship but still fun. He helps you if there’s a time you want to hit. He does all he can to help you hit that time, and he’s always there for you,” Bamberg said. “He’s just an amazing guy. I think of him as a friend as well as a coach.”