What happened this week? (1/8-1/15)

ROSA CARAMAZZA/SAGAMORE STAFF

This week was pretty eventful, from news about midyears all the way to the reopening of a popular Brookline restaurant.

Wish you could learn about the major happenings this week? Our weekly recaps are intended to give readers a brief overview of what they might have missed.

Midyears Postponed:
Yup, you heard it right. In the past two weeks, many students and teachers have been absent due to the outbreak of the Omicron variant of COVID-19. Plus, we had a snow day last week AND school was cancelled last Monday. So, midyears were pushed back by two days to start on Thursday, Jan. 20, which gives students a weekend-long break halfway through!

BSC meets with BEU:
The ongoing contract negotiations between the Brookline School Committee (BSC) and the Brookline Educators Union (BEU) progressed on Monday, when the BSC agreed to meet with the BEU. The BEU took work-to-rule action on Dec. 10, aiming to pressure the BSC to make changes sooner, and the BSC responded in a public statement on Dec. 17.

Midyear schedule released:
It wasn’t until this past Monday that most students first laid eyes on the schedule for said midyear exams. Finally, students were able to begin planning for their upcoming exams and work out any scheduling issues (there were many). Though this felt a little last-minute, some way more last-minute decisions have been made in the district in recent weeks, so let’s let this one slide.

Omicron:
The Omicron variant of COVID-19 is still running rampant around the globe, and emergency rooms (ER) have been overflowing this week. “We are being absolutely crushed,” Gabor Kelen, Chair of Emergency Medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine said.

Zaftigs reopening:
Zaftigs Delicatessen, a Brookline favorite, has been closed since August following a fire in the restaurant. Fear not, as they plan to finally reopen Jan. 17!

Euphoria Season 2:
It seems like everywhere I have gone this week, I have had to listen to spoilers for the second season of Euphoria. Though I haven’t even gotten around to watching season one yet, with how much popularity the show has gained, maybe I’ll watch it over February break.

Bob Saget dies:
Actor Bob Saget, known for his role in the iconic show “Full House”, passed away Jan. 9. He was found dead in his hotel room in Orlando, Florida. The cause of his death remains unclear.