Girls varsity tennis pulls off 5-0 win against Braintree

AIDAN WOELFEL/SAGAMORE STAFF

Sophomore Maddie Driscoll winds up for a serve in her singles match against Braintree.

On a bright, warm, spring afternoon, the girls varsity tennis team beat their opponents without even working up a sweat.

On Wednesday, May 11, the girls varsity tennis team took on Braintree High School. Brookline delivered a clean sweep against Braintree, winning each of their five matches.

Coach David Sapers said in preparation for the playoffs, doubles partners were preemptively changed.

“The only strategy was placement of doubles teams. We mixed up the doubles teams since we’ve been getting ready for the playoffs, so we need to make sure our doubles teams have played matches together,” Sapers said.

Court one featured senior Caroline Driscoll taking on Braintree’s Haily Pham. During the game, Driscoll’s strong second serve helped her hold her service game easily against Pham. Her powerful and accurate forehand made it easy for her to finish points quickly and take an 8-0 victory.

Driscoll said she was pleased by her playing, serve and movement throughout the match.

“I was happy with my performance and the way I competed. I think I served really well which helped me a lot. I was also able to move really well and change positions,” Driscoll said.

Court five saw a doubles matchup in which freshman Noelia Ames and sophomore Milena Mir faced off against Diya Shamtani and Amanda Zhou from Braintree. Ames and Mir were successful, beating their opponents in an 8-0 win. Ames said she was happy with her second serve consistency.

“I thought I did well not missing my second serve, keeping it consistent and not letting the pressure get to me,” Ames said.

In a dominant display, Brookline took care of Braintree in quick fashion. Across the five matches played, Brookline only let up one game, with most matches featuring Brookline winning eight straight games to take the match.

With this win, the team now has a record of 8-1 this season.

Sapers said he is confident the team can win the state championship this year.

“The team’s goal this year is to win the state championship, and I can tell you that if we are healthy, we should win states,” Sapers said.