The girls varsity soccer team destroyed the Chlemsford Lions 10-0 in the round of 32 playoffs

FLANNERY POON/CYPRESS STAFF
The girls varsity soccer team beat the Chlemsford Lions 10-0 in the playoffs round of 32 game on Sunday, Nov. 5.

The girls varsity soccer team scored into the double digits on Sunday, Nov. 5. The Warriors shut out the Chelmsford Lions 10-0 at Parsons Field, advancing to the round of 16.

The Warriors established their dominance early on. Head Coach Ben Peters said that he wasn’t quite sure how to feel after the game.

“I’ve never had a game like this. It’s fantastic to get double digits in soccer. It’s unheard of. So it’s a great way to make a statement in the tournament,” Peters said.

The Warriors began the game with a decisive offensive attack. Junior Makena Hammond quickly scored the first goal with an assist from team captain, junior Vilena Tchernychev. Hammond went on to score two more goals.

Hammond said that she felt really good about her hat trick, but the main factor that led to their win was the team’s flow.

“We’re really bonded. I think that makes a big difference that we’re such a tight-knit community,” Hammond said. “We hang out all the time, we’re all best friends, and I think that translates to the field. We all care about each other like sisters.”

The connection was apparent when team captain, junior Anna Leschly, scored from a perfectly placed pass by team captain, junior Sydney Freese. Leschly’s goal opened the sluice gate with Freese scoring soon after, followed by another goal from senior captain Amara Ukomadu.

Ukomadu said that she thought the whole team played well.

“Going into the game, everybody was focused and we didn’t have any preconceived notions about how good the other team was going to be,” Ukomadu said. “We just came into the game thinking that we needed to win.”

The other team played hard and made several attempts to score, but those attempts were all blocked by goalkeeper and junior Julia Churwin. The Lions, ranked 37th after the regular season, were no match for the Warriors, who cut through their defense like a knife through warm butter.

Entering the second half, the Warriors were up 4-0 and continued to increase their already significant lead. Ukomadu scored a second goal, assisted by Freese. Hammond scored again, assisted by Leschly.

Halfway through the second quarter, the starters were substituted for less experienced players, and the Warriors continued to dominate. Freshman Juliana Segal scored a goal assisted by sophomore Amalia Lingren-Palm. Sophomore Jada Kimbro scored twice within two minutes. The team’s and the fans’ joy was palpable as they cheered on the underclassmen’s first varsity goals.

The 10th and final goal was scored by Hammond, sealing the Warriors’ 10-0 win over the Lions. Going forward, the team faces Needham on Wednesday in the round of 16. Peters believes their playoff streak will continue past Needham.

“I’m really confident about playoffs,” Peters said. “I think we can make a really big run and maybe even win It. There’s every opportunity to win it with a score like tonight’s.”