Molly Newbold inspires team with commitment

CONTRIBUTED BY MOLLY NEWBOLD
Molly Newbold shoots at the goal. Despite only being on the field hockey team for one season, Molly Newbold has inspired her teammates through her dedication and recent commitment to the University of Rochester.

Commitment. Skill. Leadership. Senior Molly Newbold has stepped up as a team inspiration and role model on the girls varsity field hockey team.

New to the high school and the team, Newbold uses her experience and skills to serve as an example for her teammates in her last season before going to the collegiate level.

Previously, Newbold lived in Keene, New Hampshire, a town with a large focus on field hockey.

“All of my friends played [field hockey], so I decided to start playing when I was younger, and I really liked it,” Newbold said.

Newbold continued her field hockey career at Northfield Mount Hermon boarding school. She moved to Brookline this year and is now finishing her fall field hockey season before committing to play girls field hockey at the University of Rochester.

According to Newbold, the team has allowed her to make new friends.

“Field hockey has been a big part of my social life,” Newbold said. “I love being on a team. Most of my best friends are on my field hockey teams.”

Head coach Emily Hunt said Newbold’s relationships with her teammates are strong, and her place on the team inspires others.

“It’s hard to believe that it’s her first season here because she instantly connected with the team,” Hunt said. “She became a leader that all the younger girls look up to, not only for her playing, but her friendliness and kindness as well.”

According to senior and teammate Charlotte Toole, while Newbold isn’t a captain, her experience has allowed her to become a leader.

“She does a really good job teaching me and everybody else because she’s been playing for so long,” Toole said. “She also wants everybody to do well and always give everything in a game.”

Toole said Newbold’s leadership continues in each game through her valuable skills and outlook for her teammates.

“Her direction on the field is very helpful,” Toole said. “Every time we’re talking, I feel like she notices people individually.”

In addition to her skills, Newbold carries a good attitude when she plays and focuses on the task at hand.

“Even if she’s frustrated with herself or others, she never takes it out on anybody. She just channels it into how she plays,” Toole said.

While she’s sad to see Newbold leave the team so soon, Hunt is very excited to see one of her players go on to play in college.

“For her to commit is an inspiration for her teammates, especially for the younger girls to strive for that and to maybe play at the collegiate level,” Hunt said. “This will help the field hockey program grow even stronger.”

In addition to setting an example, Newbold advises younger players to devote time and work to field hockey in order to improve.

“Just practice and put effort into the sport,” Newbold said. “If you really care about it, you’re going to get better at it.”