Peeps: Favorite part of playing a sport

Isaac Speicher, freshman
Isaac Speicher, freshman

The most surprising thing about freshman soccer is that it's such a great community. My favorite part is that you get to spend a lot of time with the same group of people. It helps you get closer with them. I would tell other new freshmen to definitely try a sport. It might be scary at first but once you get used to it it's really fun.

Olivia Mataraza, junior
Olivia Mataraza, junior

I love the team aspect of basketball and the family I have formed through basketball…The Brookline girls basketball program makes an effort to allow people in all grades to be really connected.

Hanna Shimbori, freshman
Hanna Shimbori, freshman

I am on the swim team, and I really like that there are people from all different grades on the team. I like knowing the upperclassmen because they give me a lot of good advice, and it has really helped adjust to my Freshman year.

Shayna Chin, junior
Shayna Chin, junior

My favorite part of hockey is that it is such a close sport. The locker room time and getting there early gives you more time to bond with the team. Everyone spends maybe three or four hours together, especially when we have a game.

Kris Vaivars, junior
Kris Vaivars, junior

I play volleyball. I like the fact that it's very team based and you can make lots of good connections with teammates and make very good friends. The most important part is definitely being open minded and ready to make lots of adjustments, and you have to be a good teammate.

Lara Grossman, sophomore
Lara Grossman, sophomore

I do crew. My favorite part about playing a sport is the community that it creates and the activity to go to every day after school and the girls there [...] I really like it because we get a good workout in every day, makes me feel energized. [...] It’s made my experience here better because it’s allowed me to meet new people and form new friendships and also just have something structured in my day.

Theodore Butty, sophomore
Theodore Butty, sophomore

The best part about cross-country is seeing the progression – every week you get to race and you get to try to improve on your time, and it’s very satisfying. The team dynamic is amazing! Everybody supports each other and cheers each other on, especially during races.