Boys varsity basketball beats Bedford in their second preseason scrimmage

MARCO NEER/CYPRESS STAFF
Boys varsity basketball beat the Bedford Buccaneers 59-50 during their second preseason scrimmage on Sunday, Dec. 10.

The boys varsity basketball team beat the Bedford Buccaneers 59-50 during their second preseason scrimmage on Sunday, Dec. 10 in the Schluntz Gymnasium.

The Warriors took an early 9-2 lead before the Buccaneers answered with a series of points. The Buccaneer bench leaped out of their seats as their team hit a three to take the lead 12-9 with two minutes remaining in the first quarter. Following a timeout, the Warriors leveled the score, and the teams were tied 16-16 to close out the quarter.

The second quarter was low-scoring, with both teams playing defensively, staying within two or three points of each other. Midway through the quarter, junior Alan Shi, a forward, posted the Buccaneer’s center. Turning his shoulder, he slammed down a two-handed dunk, igniting the Warriors bench.

The play gave the Warriors energy as the crowd became more involved. Loud “Defense!” chants filled the gymnasium during Buccaneer possessions.

“The poster dunk set the momentum for the game,” Shi said. “It made us play harder on defense.”

After a low-scoring quarter the Warriors entered halftime clinging to a 24-20 lead. However, the third quarter saw the game open up, with the Warriors and Buccaneers trading 3-pointers. Five minutes into the quarter, the Warriors had maintained their lead with a score of 31-27.

Despite their lead, the Warriors struggled with foul calls, giving up six fouls in the third quarter compared to the Buccaneers’ two. The Warriors’ offense played well, but the Buccaneers were able to stay in the game by getting to the free-throw line. With one minute remaining in the third quarter, the Buccaneers had tied the game 36-36.

With seconds on the clock, the Warriors trailed by one. A missed shot by the Warriors led to a fight for the rebound before junior Aaron Viola, a guard, jumped from the left side of the paint, scoring a buzzer-beating putback shot. With Viola’s buzzer-beater giving the Warriors the lead, the third quarter ended at 38-37.

As the fourth quarter got underway, the score stayed tight until senior Chris Silice, a forward, drew multiple fouls, getting to the free throw line three times in two minutes. With about four and a half minutes remaining and a 50-42 point lead, the Warriors looked to close out the game.

As soon as the Buccaneers inbounded the ball, the Warriors pressed the Buccaneers guards high up the court, giving them no space.

Head coach Johnny Williams said his team was able to outlast the Buccaneers through raw fitness.

“I keep telling my guys that teams will be able to play with us the first three quarters,” Williams said. “It’s that fourth quarter when they run out of gas, and we’re in the best condition of our lives. That’s how we’re able to pull away.”

With about three minutes left to play, the Warriors held the score to 55-45. Rushed to score as time dwindled, the Buccaneers searched for an opening. But a powerful block from Shi on a layup attempt sealed their fate, and the game ended 59-50.

Williams expressed pride in the way his players fought but recognized that there were still many areas for improvement.

“My top nine guys played exceptionally well,” Williams said. “We moved the ball a lot better than we have in the past, but we still need to improve on weak side help. We still need to improve on defense, rebounding and trying to get teammates open.”