Boys swim and dive evaporate the Framingham Flyers

MIRTA CERAJ/CYPRESS STAFF
Boys varsity swim and dive defeated the Flyers 92-79, extending their record to 3-0.

The boys varsity swim and dive team faced the Framingham Flyers in a dual meet on Friday, Dec. 15, in the Kirrane Aquatic Center. The Warriors defeated the Flyers 92-79, extending their record to 3-0.

The Warriors started strong, with junior Zach Lee placing first in diving. Assistant coach Lea Luniewicz said the team felt confident going into the meet, given their recent win against Wellesley, and they had the chance to experiment with the lineup.

“Winning against Wellesley gave us positive energy that we brought into this meet,” Luniewicz said. “Framingham also only has 8-9 swimmers so we had the opportunity to give swimmers experience in events they don’t typically swim.”

Senior and captain Jack Maloney said he appreciates how sportsmanship has been strong throughout the season.

“During the time that I’ve been on the team, it has been great in terms of supporting each other and lifting one another up, especially between different grades,” Maloney said.

Senior and captain Andy Yoo said he was nervous about his races, knowing he was facing fierce competitors. Even though he wasn’t happy with his personal performance, he said he was satisfied with the team’s general performance.

“As a team, the meet was good,” Yoo said. “I was able to place second in the 200 freestyle with my teammate, junior Gabe Segal, placing first. We were able to get the win, so no complaints.”

Luniewicz said there were a lot of strong events today. Some that stood out to her were Segal’s 100 freestyle, where he swam a personal best and qualified for sectionals, Yoo’s 100 backstroke, where he qualified for sectionals and sophomore Marc Hummel’s 100 breaststroke.

Luniewicz said another high point of the meet was the Warriors sweeping the 500 freestyle. Junior Julian Carlson placed first, with sophomore Theo Jones and junior Ander Baissac claiming second and third. Jones achieved a massive personal best in that race.

“It was cool to see the 500 because Julian typically does not swim the 500, and neither does Ander. It was cool to see them try those distance events,” Luniewicz said.

According to Maloney, the team will keep working hard until the season ends because there is always room for improvement. He said that he is looking forward to Baystates because it’s the last time the team gets to swim together.

“We can’t be satisfied just because we’re 3-0 so far,” Maloney said. “We have to keep working hard because [the season is] only going to get harder, it’s not going to get any easier.”