Gabriel Thomas displays leadership on and off the mat

CONNOR QUIGLEY/CYPRESS STAFF
During a match at a dual meet on Jan. 3, Gabriel Thomas pinned his opponent in the first period.

Intense. Disciplined. Hardworking. As a senior and captain of the boys varsity wrestling team, Gabriel Thomas emulates these characteristics not only for his own benefit, but for the good of his team.

Thomas had a late start to wrestling, beginning the sport his sophomore year. Despite this, Thomas, being the only heavyweight on the team, achieved a varsity spot immediately and became a captain his junior year. Thomas is also an accomplished student; he is vice president of the chess team and volunteers with the Hebrew Life Center.

With little experience, Thomas quickly became a talented wrestler and an integral part of the team. He is dedicated to optimizing his own performance as a wrestler and constantly encourages his teammates to do the same. This has allowed the team to cultivate a positive culture while also finding success on the mat.

“Sophomore year was my first year wrestling, and in August, leading into my junior year, one of the coaches let me know that I would be captain,” Thomas said. “So, I found myself new to the sport and having to lead a team with a new coach and a large graduating class of seniors.”

A switch flipped for Thomas during his first ever captains’ practice when he realized his passion for the sport.

“The first captains’ practice I went to, my mom said that I looked gray afterwards. I was really out of shape, and it was an hour-long practice. I was really tired,” Thomas said. “That was the moment I got really into it and thought, ‘I want to do this.’”

Thomas’ love for wrestling only grew from there. He said he is hopeful for the upcoming season, as many of those who competed last year will be returning. Last year, Thomas and his fellow captains led the wrestling team to a high placement at the Sectional Tournaments.

“We placed third in our section as a team. That was far beyond what I expected. Each wrestler outdid themselves,” Thomas said. “It was inspiring to watch how we struggled through the season. Our record against other teams was not great. Yet when it came down to it at our first really important team tournament, we performed. That was something that was great to see.”

Individually, Thomas placed high at Sectionals; however, he said the collective leadership between him and his fellow captains was more meaningful than any placement.

“I placed sixth in the state. That was certainly better than I thought I would do at the beginning of the year. I’d say more than any of the matches, I’m proud of how myself and our other two captains led the team last year,” Thomas said. “We had a new group of people, and we were all new as captains. We had to step it up, and I think we did.”

Thomas’s hard work has subsequently led to team-wide improvement. Coach Brandon Bruttomesso said Thomas is well respected and highly valued on the team.

“Gabe Thomas is an incredible athlete and leader on the team. This is his second year as a captain. Last year, he was really smart, he made great decisions wrestling-wise, and he was a really hard worker. Gabe did a good job motivating those younger guys and establishing the expectations of what I was looking for as a coach within my team,” Bruttomesso said. “On the mat, he was just tenacious. Nobody was willing to work harder or put in more time than he was.”

Moreover, Thomas has developed strong relationships with his teammates. Senior and fellow captain Jamie Evarts said Thomas’ determination, resilience and curiosity have allowed him to quickly become an accomplished wrestler.

“I think the reason Gabe has been able to make big jumps is because of his curiosity,” Evarts said. “He is always absorbing information and doing what he can to get better at the sport.”

Thomas said his mindset and determination to grow are key to how he is able to thrive athletically.

“[Thomas] really embodies a lot of the attitude that we generally cultivate at Brookline wrestling. He’s determined, he’s willing to push himself and he’s always learning,” Evarts said. “He’s a huge contributor to that atmosphere.”

Bruttomesso said Thomas is a well-rounded and high-achieving student and athlete, epitomizing what it means to be a warrior.

“He’s very hardworking in his academics and is a leader across the board. He’s a great person, and you can see that in all aspects [of his life], whether it’s athletics, wrestling, academics or his social life,” Bruttomesso said. “I’d call him a warrior because a warrior is somebody who’s disciplined and hardworking, and it’s also somebody who’s working for something that’s bigger than himself.”