Boys varsity soccer beats the Algonquin Titans, advancing to the round of 16

PHOTO CONTRIBUTED BY MASON STERN
Boys varsity soccer beat the Algonquin Titans, advancing to the next round of playoffs.

A hush fell over the student section at Parson’s Field on Sunday, Nov. 5 as senior Seba Spinelli approached the penalty line with the first game of the 2023 boys varsity soccer playoffs on the line. Without hesitation, he shot the ball straight over the goalie, beating the Algonquin Titans 3-2, advancing the Warriors to the round of 16.

According to boys varsity soccer head coach Kyle Beaulieu-Jones, the Warriors had secured sixth seed based on their regular season performance, while the Titans were the 27th seed. Still, they knew seeding wouldn’t affect playoff performance.

“Playoff soccer is like a whole different season. Some teams that weren’t as good throughout the regular season will beat the number one seed. Going into the game, we were confident, but we knew Algonquin would be good, and we were ready for the challenge,” Beaulieu-Jones said.

The Warriors dominated from the start. Only four minutes into the first half, Spinelli scored the Warriors’s first goal, assisted by sophomore Wally Lawrence. A few minutes later, the Warriors were awarded a penalty kick after an illegal tackle from the Titans, but they missed and the score remained 1-0.

The game evened out over the next 20 minutes, both teams sharing possession until the Titans scored with 15 minutes left in the first half, tying the game 1-1.

With five minutes left in the first half, the Titans trapped the Warriors in their own half until the Titans scored with just two minutes left, taking the lead 2-1. Senior captain and keeper Jackson Magee said the Warriors maintained a calm headspace.

“We weren’t too nervous but we also knew that we were loosening up and we weren’t playing our game. We knew we could win but we needed to regain control throughout the second half,” Magee said.

The match remained even throughout the second half, both teams getting opportunities to score until senior Henry Ames beat his defender and executed a pass to Spinelli, who scored with 16 minutes left, tying the game 2-2.

Parsons Field was filled with the deafening roar of Warrior fans’ chants, and it seemed like the Warriors had regained momentum. With two minutes left in the second half, the Warriors had two close opportunities to score but couldn’t capitalize. Regulation time expired and the game went into overtime.

“Going into overtime, we knew we were the better team and we were ready to come out and win,” Spinelli said.

Overtime was split into two 10-minute halves which continued with similar back-and-forth gameplay, neither team capitalizing on their opportunities, and the game was sent to penalty kicks.

The Warriors shot first and scored, followed by the Titans who also scored. In the second round, the Warriors scored and Magee blocked the Titan’s shot. Third round, the Warriors shot was stopped by the Titans keeper and the Titans scored, tying the shootout.

Magee scored the Warriors fourth-round shot and followed his shot up with a save, meaning that if the Warriors scored their next shot, they would win.

And score they did, when Spinelli kicked the ball straight past the Titan’s keeper, ending the game 3-2, advancing the Warriors to the next round of playoffs as the players stormed into the stands to celebrate with the fans.

“I’m just so happy we won. My goals were exciting for me but the fact they contributed to our overall win meant more to me than just boosting my stats,” Spinelli said.

Beaulieu-Jones said that the team overall played well and a lot of players had important moments.

“Seba especially stuck out as one of the dominant players on the field and Jackson was outstanding, keeping us in the game and saving those penalty kicks,” Beaulieu-Jones said.

Winchester will most likely be the Warriors’ opponent in the round of 16 and even though they will be formidable, Magee thinks the team is ready.

“From this point, we just want to continue our streak and play the best we possibly can. We know Winchester is a good team and it will be a tight match but we have the potential to capitalize and I know we will,” Magee said.